Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you ... thank you, very much.

Comment

What's the protocol for posting? Should I post in The Pit or on the public comments site?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        In the Pit.

I can't tell you how many times this site has saved my butt. Many thanks for all the great information and videos. I live in the mountains of SoCal and have added smoking to my other hobbies of brewing beer and making moonshine. Needless to say, our parties have become very popular. But it is the outdoor cooking that has become the center of our gatherings. Thanks, AmazingRibs.

Comment

Meathead, I had asked you this by twitter and your responded to come here instead. What is the best way to clean the creasote out of my primo - lots of build up in there. I hope this is the right place to post!

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          stevenv55125 - I always run a high temp (600F) burn through my kamados on at least a monthly basis if not more often. Its very important to keep your Primo very clean. You don't want flashbacks.

stevenv55125 I'd suggest running it at very high heat for an hour or two, then scraping the walls off with wadded up aluminum foil. Do not use chemicals... not even soap!

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          David Parrish - this is the only way to clean any ceramic cooker. Thanks for posting it here.

Thank you very much!!! Appreciate the guidance.

Comment

based on this site I've purchased and fallen in love with the slow n sear and am now trying to perfect the moistest smoked chicken ever. Quick question- on the sweet georgia brown recipe it doesn't day how long to salt the chicken prior to applying the memphis rub. How long would you suggest? Much thanks!

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome! I've not cooked that recipe, but I'm sure others will have a great recommendation for you.

Hello Meathead. I had not cooked an egg in my entire life until my wife persuaded me to buy a Weber Performer charcoal grill after she became ill and was no longer able to cook. I must have caught some very virulent strain of grilling virus after I started playing with my charcoal grill and was able to cook my first ribeye a month ago. After stumbling on the Pitmaster site and reading many of your well written and informative articles and watching so many fine people exchanging their grilling experiences and knowledge I had no other choice but to join the club which I just did to continue to learn about charcoal grilling and have fun with so many wonderful people. Congratulations and thank you for creating such a marvellous club.

Comment

Love this site and your book. I noticed in today's email under the recipe for Cornell chicken that your wife earned a Ph.D. in microbiology from Cornell. When was she there? My wife (Denise) and I earned Ph.D.s in microbiology at Cornell from 1973 to 1977 and did post-docs there from 1977 until 1980.

Regards,
            Jerry Yordy

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Huh. I was there from '72 through '77, off and on. Lived at 108 Catherine St, in Collegetown. Studied English Lit.

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Mosca I am sure I walked past you many times! Also there was Bill McGrath, our thermometer tester, an Electrical Engineer.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              The Zobo Funn Band.

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
            We were there from about 1972 to 1990. She is Mary Lou Tortorello, PhD.. Worked in Gary Dunny's lab. I sent her your not to see if she remembers you. SHe also pitched on the Hot Loops the micro softball team. I worked with Dr Lawless in food science.
            Gary Dunny did a post doc along with me in Martin Alexander's lab. Did your wife work in E.A. Delwich's lab. My wife did and thinks she knows her.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but welcome Jerry!

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              From Lou: I do know them. I was Gene Delwiche’s last grad student, there from 1978-1983; then did a post-doc with Gary Dunny from 1983-1986. I am pretty sure that Denise also was Delwiche’s student before I got there. She would remember Greg Griffin and probably Jim Pestka who were also in the Delwiche lab. I do not recall who was Jerry's advisor, but do remember him.

From Lou: I do know them. I was Gene Delwiche’s last grad student, there from 1978-1983; then did a post-doc with Gary Dunny from 1983-1986. I am pretty sure that Denise also was Delwiche’s student before I got there. She would remember Greg Griffin and probably Jim Pestka who were also in the Delwiche lab. I do not recall who was Jerry's advisor, but do remember him.
            Could you send me an email so we could correspond privately.

Comment

We both know Greg and Jim. Denise was in Delwiche's lab from 1973 to late 1977, defended her thesis in January 1978. My advisor originally was Terry Weaver who left Cornell in 1976. Harry Seeley became my advisor for my final year.

Denise thinks you and your wife came to our apartment at one time. Would like to discuss off line.

Comment

Three forums I visit everyday (almost) and never log out: AmazingRibs, PondBoss and GolfSimulator. That pretty well brackets my current interests, hobbies and activities.

Comment

Hello Meathead,
                this is a great coocking community and I joined it from Rome - Italy....

I really appreciate the enormous exchange of personal expertise in the Pit, but I must regreat for one things: the absolute absence of a free gift for european subcribers!!!

of course, we can collect all six of the ebooks for free, but we can't will be eligible for your monthly drawings and we can't put our hands over the Award-Winning Temperature Guide.

The community of Ammazingrib.com is growing and the european subscribers also and could be rewarded with a symbolic gift dedicated only to them, as example a pin of your logo to hang on apron.

Thank a lot for the attention you will pay on this post.
                Waiting for hear from you, best regards.
                Fabrizio

Comment

• bellocchif
                  bellocchif commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello Huskee, address checked: it’s correct! email sent to you.
                  Many thx

• bellocchif
                  bellocchif commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Huskee…I’m still waiting for the temperature magnet, have you any good news for me?

• Meathead
                  Meathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Clint Cantwell's teenagers mail them first class once a month even overseas. I will have him check the records. But from my experience the only postage system worse than Italy's is ours, so goodness knows where it is!

Wow! Talk about oldies but foodies. Just want to say howdy to some of the old timers who have posted two or four times.

Comment

• Allon
                  Allon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm 63... At that old enough FireMan?

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here