Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less

Meathead, here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Meathead

• ddmcwhirter
    replied
    Three forums I visit everyday (almost) and never log out: AmazingRibs, PondBoss and GolfSimulator. That pretty well brackets my current interests, hobbies and activities.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Yordy
    replied
    Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    From Lou: I do know them. I was Gene Delwiche’s last grad student, there from 1978-1983; then did a post-doc with Gary Dunny from 1983-1986. I am pretty sure that Denise also was Delwiche’s student before I got there. She would remember Greg Griffin and probably Jim Pestka who were also in the Delwiche lab. I do not recall who was Jerry's advisor, but do remember him.
    We both know Greg and Jim. Denise was in Delwiche's lab from 1973 to late 1977, defended her thesis in January 1978. My advisor originally was Terry Weaver who left Cornell in 1976. Harry Seeley became my advisor for my final year.

Denise thinks you and your wife came to our apartment at one time. Would like to discuss off line.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Yordy
    replied
    From Lou: I do know them. I was Gene Delwiche’s last grad student, there from 1978-1983; then did a post-doc with Gary Dunny from 1983-1986. I am pretty sure that Denise also was Delwiche’s student before I got there. She would remember Greg Griffin and probably Jim Pestka who were also in the Delwiche lab. I do not recall who was Jerry's advisor, but do remember him.
    Could you send me an email so we could correspond privately.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    The Zobo Funn Band.

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Mosca I am sure I walked past you many times! Also there was Bill McGrath, our thermometer tester, an Electrical Engineer.

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Huh. I was there from '72 through '77, off and on. Lived at 108 Catherine St, in Collegetown. Studied English Lit.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but welcome Jerry!

• Jerry Yordy
    replied
    We were there from about 1972 to 1990. She is Mary Lou Tortorello, PhD.. Worked in Gary Dunny's lab. I sent her your not to see if she remembers you. SHe also pitched on the Hot Loops the micro softball team. I worked with Dr Lawless in food science.
    Gary Dunny did a post doc along with me in Martin Alexander's lab. Did your wife work in E.A. Delwich's lab. My wife did and thinks she knows her.

Leave a comment:

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    We were there from about 1972 to 1990. She is Mary Lou Tortorello, PhD.. Worked in Gary Dunny's lab. I sent her your not to see if she remembers you. SHe also pitched on the Hot Loops the micro softball team. I worked with Dr Lawless in food science.

• Jerry Yordy
    replied
    Love this site and your book. I noticed in today's email under the recipe for Cornell chicken that your wife earned a Ph.D. in microbiology from Cornell. When was she there? My wife (Denise) and I earned Ph.D.s in microbiology at Cornell from 1973 to 1977 and did post-docs there from 1977 until 1980.

Regards,
    Jerry Yordy

Leave a comment:

• Dumb old doc
    replied
    Hello Meathead. I had not cooked an egg in my entire life until my wife persuaded me to buy a Weber Performer charcoal grill after she became ill and was no longer able to cook. I must have caught some very virulent strain of grilling virus after I started playing with my charcoal grill and was able to cook my first ribeye a month ago. After stumbling on the Pitmaster site and reading many of your well written and informative articles and watching so many fine people exchanging their grilling experiences and knowledge I had no other choice but to join the club which I just did to continue to learn about charcoal grilling and have fun with so many wonderful people. Congratulations and thank you for creating such a marvellous club.

Leave a comment:

• kmhfive
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome! I've not cooked that recipe, but I'm sure others will have a great recommendation for you.

• Smokin Salmon
    replied
    based on this site I've purchased and fallen in love with the slow n sear and am now trying to perfect the moistest smoked chicken ever. Quick question- on the sweet georgia brown recipe it doesn't day how long to salt the chicken prior to applying the memphis rub. How long would you suggest? Much thanks!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

This summer's 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis IS OFFICIALLY RESCHEDULED FOR March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info here!
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Meat-Up in Memphis