Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings for the Super Bowl. Cooked in my in-law's kettle. The wings were dry-brined a day in advance. They were kept very cold and were tossed in a big ziploc bag with some olive oil. Then they hit the platter and were lightly seasoned with pepper and paprika. First pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	272122

They were cooked in the kettle with a chunk of pecan wood for smoke. This is what they looked like when they were nearing completion:

Name:	IMG_0847.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	272121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	272120
    I created 2 sauces. One was a mix of my homemade hot sauce and some melted butter. The other was some KC sauce mixed with melted butter. Each sauce received about half of the wings. I spread the sauces over the bottom of 2 small cookie sheets. Before I pulled the wings I brushed the tops of them with the sauce (about half got the BBQ sauce and half the spicy sauce).

This is what they looked like after they'd been sauced and had cooked a bit longer:

Name:	IMG_0849.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	272123

After they were removed from the kettle they were placed in their respective cookie sheets and were rolled around in the remaining sauce. They were served with blue cheese dressing and celery.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great, Q'd wings are amazing.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Once you've had properly cooked Q'd wings it's hard to go back to the fried wings. bbqoaf

Name:	IMG_4219.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	272128
    My super bowl contribution. Sausage stuffed poppers and ribs
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Is that cheese on the top of the sausage?

Here we go. KBQ'd ribs. Just a simple salt and pepper rub. I wanted the KBQ smoke to shine on these. These were amazing. The skin was tight, almost like eating kielbasa. The smoke flavor was intoxicatingly deep. Still loving the KBQ.

Name:	IMG_1822.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	272134Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	272137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	272136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	272135

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      When I do ribs. I always cook with "clean smoke" That is top closed and bottom open. EdF

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Buddy. That's one beautiful color.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Stunning, Spinaker

This weekend I was lucky enough to take the Kettle on a field trip to Lake Coatepeque, an ancient (thankfully dormant) volcanic crater that over time has become filled with water and is now truly an amazing place:

Name:	Photo 2-4-17, 9 42 19 AM.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	272235

I've been determined to improve as much as I can on making BBRs, so I took 4 racks total and used the coil method to make them all fit in the Kettle.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-02-06 at 9.18.22 PM.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	272234

Dry brined for about 4 hours, then coated with Meathead's Memphis Dust, and went on the Kettle to cook at 225. I checked the at the 3:30 hour mark, and only one of the racks was done, so I took it out, put some Classic KC sauce on, and put them on the direct side for about 3 minutes per side. They came out great. Repeated the process with the remaining racks, which I spaced out about every 20 minutes, and each one was better than the last. The last rack though, took about 5 hours and 20 minutes to pass the bend test, which I found surprising. On that last rack, I used the Danny Gaulden glaze.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-02-06 at 9.18.23 PM.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	272229

Overall, it was a pretty great cook. It's the first time I thought the ribs were truly exceptional, and my hungry friends agreed!

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-02-05 at 9.07.11 AM.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	272230

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-02-06 at 9.18.31 PM.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	272231

The end result:

Name:	Photo 2-4-17, 10 14 49 PM.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	272233

Sorry for the poor lighting, it was very dark once they we're ready and we were outdoors.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips you've given me to get to this point! It's been extremely fun so far! Next challenge: perfect pulled pork!

Attached Files

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great ribs, scenery and photos!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      After looking back at these pictures. This makes me miss Central America......a lot.........

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great pics of a great cook! Fine Job! Makes me miss Central America, as well. First pic, Weber oughtta buy it for adverts. Be safe! DAMHIK!;-)

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 131F for 8 hours then torch-seared. This had been dry-brined just before being vacuum packed and frozen. It was just a choice grade, but this had to be the most tender tri-tip I have ever had. I could cut it with a fork. Served with arugula, simply sauteed in EVO, salad and the last of the Opolo Zin.

Name:	tt-arugula.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	272519

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, everything looks great. Awesome cook!

Pastrami night Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0527.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	272525

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Best recipe on the site.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's killing me!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh.. looks really good!

Today's cook on my kettle..

Comment

I made an experimental char siu with pork belly. Cooked in the air fryer. (Note, if you try this, put it directly under your exhaust vent as it will make copious quantities of smoke. I think pork belly is just too fatty for the air fryer. Next time I will probably cook in the pellet grill.) Made into a very non-traditional stir fry of arugula, carrot, onion, celery and cauliflower. It was very tasty though!

Click image for larger version  Name:	pb-charsiu.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	272910

Click image for larger version  Name:	pb-charsiu-p.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	272911

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful! I'm curious as to the texture of the exterior (chewy, crunchy)? Thanks!

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        A little bit of both! It would probably have been less crunchy if I had cooked it a bit less.

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks really good!

Nothing better on a cold snowing day than a smoked corn beef brisket Click image for larger version

Name:	20170209_204351.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	273120

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks Glorious!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!

Tonight we had a whole chicken cooked in the 14.5 WSM on the top rack with the bowl removed, oven-roasted cauliflower and salad.

Name:	IMG_0851.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	273137Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	273136Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0852.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	273135

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed!! Excellent color, and it looks moist too.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker and @TheCountofQ

It was very moist and the skin was crispy. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet

Sous vide tenderloin steak au poivre with a Caesars Salad. Salt and coat with coarse cracked pepper. One hour in the HTTM at 118.5°F then 1 minute per side in a cast iron skillet at about 475° with butter and EVOO. Make the brandy cream sauce in the skillet. Salad dressed with Kenji's dressing recipe:

Name:	IMG_20170210_210908.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	273690Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170210_211124.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	273691Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170210_211055.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	273692

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks delicious. I've been using the Anova but don't know HTTM - I should, I'm sure.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        HTTM = Hot Tub Time Machine. Its what Ernest calls a sous vide bath. I have an Anova.

Folks there are a lot of awesome cooks here, as usual... YAWN. lol

Now that the Husker has taken over the Club I think it's time to close this thread, and let him start a new one.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your cooks and great times with me. Now I'll pass the torch to Huskee!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok Huskee it's time to cook up something purdy to start the new one with!

It's time again to retire an old thread & begin anew!

The "Show Us What You're Cooking!" threads are our most popular (as they should be, right?) and they fill up fast. A person could get lost in all its goodness...

What I thought we'd try out is keeping this thread seasonal. Not only would this keep smaller backlogs of cooking posts and less pages to scan through, but when we have a really good cook we can find it easier by remembering if it was in summer or winter, etc.

So without further ado:

Show us what you're cooking!

Comment

• PJBowmaster
        PJBowmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Grilled a couple of boneless Ribeyes. Certified Angus Beef cut about 1 1/4 inch thick. Hot and fast over direct heat on the Weber gasser. Served Medium. With loaded baked potato and Caesar Salad.

Name:	IMG_6672.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	328777

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        A done deal... ribs done right! Mmmmm...
        Attached Files

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Folks, it's that time again...time to retire the SUWYC Spring edition here and begin a new Summer (!) thread!

Please post your current cooks in the Show Us What You're Cooking- Volume 6, Summer 2017 thread!

The "Show Us What You're Cooking!" threads are our most popular (as they should be, right?) and they fill up fast. A person could get lost in all its goodness...

We're keeping this thread seasonal. Welcome to summer 2017!

So without further ado:

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I did this one a while ago and forgot to post...It was dern good!

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	381269Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	381268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	381266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	381267

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Head over to the new Fall 2017 edition of "Show us what you're cooking- Volume 7" There is already a ton of great BBQ being posted!

• johnardoin
        johnardoin commented
        Editing a comment
        Fired up the Horizon at 5:30 this morning to start smoking 2 pork butts for Kahlua Pig. Chilly, rainy, and windy today, have to watch the fire close.
        Attached Files

We're keeping this thread seasonal. Welcome to Fall 2017!

So without further ado:

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        On Friday I had both kettles going. In the Performer w/ SnS I had a chuck roast smoking for chili. In the 26 I roasted peppers for hot sauce and I seared up some cube steak for chili. For the 26 I lit a full chimney and a compact chimney. I poured the compact chimney into a charcoal basket and I spread the full chimney around the bottom of the kettle.

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	415768

Name:	IMG_1248.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	415764

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	415767
        Here is the hot sauce. It will steep for a week in the refrigerator and will then be strained and bottled.

Name:	IMG_1252.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	415770
        Here is the chuck roast. I pulled it at 195, cubed it and put it in the chili off-burner but still hot.

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	415769

Name:	IMG_1253.JPG
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	415766
        I put a fine mince on the onion, peppers, celery and garlic for the chili.

Name:	IMG_1250.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	415771

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	415772

Name:	IMG_1254.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	415765

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Lamb T bones..

Name:	cameringo_20171126_181123.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	416019

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it is that time again!

Fall is over and Winter is upon us! Check out the new SUWYC thread for the winter season!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here