Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on how to smoke a moose heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on how to smoke a moose heart

Hi all!

long story short: I’ve been asked to smoke a moose heart (from a calf, shot yesterday). But how? The plan is to barbecue it, not cold smoke it. But what I can’t decide is whether I should

A) treat it like beef cheeks, since it is lean and works hard every day, meaning 12 hour low n slow,

OR

B) Smoke it until it reaches 130-140 deg F, then slice and eat, like you would a beef tenderloin.

Any advice, hints or ideas from the esteemed pit members? Has any of you smoked a heart before?

I'd recommend smokin it fer a while, then braisin it fer tenderness...

Based upon a life-long love of yardbird hearts...

Comment

I think Mr. Bones is on to something. I would do it like a smoked, braised short rib.

Comment

I have a lot of experience whitetail hearts but unfortunately not smoking.....I have done pickled and also sliced thin and fried in butter. Based on the Sliced thin and fried in butter, I like that rare so I would lean toward option B personally....I would be afraid of option A drying out......But would be very interested in in the final result which ever option you choose.

Comment

I have to know: is moose hunting a thing in Sweden? Where i live, in Idaho a moose tag is a lottery draw that you can win once per lifetime. How is hunting in Europe?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it's a big thing. The season has just begun, so plenty of freezers getting stuffed in the next week. Moose has an amazing flavor in general, one of my favorite game meats.

Henrik A

Comment

Make pastrami!! I make lots of deer heart pastrami!!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              This is for a bbq class, forgot to mention that, so great idea, but won't have time.

Wait what?

Comment

I had a beef heart i sous vided. The recipe was geared towards making beed heart confit but maybe you could adapt it.

http://www.pasturedkitchen.com/recip...us-vide-beets/
              Last edited by grantgallagher; October 19, 2020, 08:18 AM. Reason: EDIT: meant to say it was geared towards making beef heart confit

Comment

I could ask my wife. She won a moose's heart back in 1978.
                I was over 6 foot tall in 8th grade 1972. Bruce the Moose was a comic in Boys Life magazine. A Boy Scout thing. Somehow I picked up the nickname Moose. sorry, off track

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your wife's name isn't Midge, by any chance, is it?

Ref.: Archie Comic Books

Salt/pepper smoke until gets color or 135F max. Cool, slice thinly then fry in tempura batter for a bit. Or fry in Flour . Heart's lean and will dry out in a heartbeat...

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We always dredged and fried deer heart, served for breakfast at hunting camp with hash browns, eggs, and some ash from the campfire.

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CaptainMike
                  Have you tried chicken fried backstrap?

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  gcdmd With milk gravy from the the drippins', I don't think I've had it any other way! Now, about that STEMI......

I am not an organ meat guy. When I see things like this I think there are so many "normal" cuts of meat why eat that stuff?

I googled how to smoke moose heart just for shits and giggles and this came up:
                Uh Oh! Looks like the recipe you're looking for is still under review. It'll be back, it just needs a face lift to incorporate our new brand. In the mean time, we have a huge collection of other recipes you can check out. We're sure you'll be able to find something you're gonna love. Fish & Seafood Recipes Beef Rec

Apparently people really do eat Bulwinkle Heart.

Comment

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beat me to it. I was going to suggest stuffing it, maybe bacon wrap it too.

• Mark V
                  Mark V commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just about all bbq meats were once not popular cuts, I suspect! Lobsters were once poor folks food!

This is for a bbq class I'm teaching on Saturday. The guys attending are hunters. I saw the Bradley recipe too, but the thing I can't get past is that although the heart works a lot (hence the beef cheek comparison), it is still lean.

Going through your replies Ahumadora's suggestion makes the most sense to me, it resonates well with how I'd like to approach it. Thank you, I'll report back if the moose heart cook happens on Saturday or not.

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Secret pro tip: Hanks beef rub works great on heart too!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here