Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technique: Stuffed Camel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband informs me camel is definitely good eating if prepared right.
    And there is a difference in taste between the two camel types. (Bactrian, and Dromedary. One Humper vs Two Humper.)

Comment

This popped up in my YouTube feed yesterday for bbq camel. It's subtitled

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, wait Georg, it’s camel rib eye!
        Dang, you need special knife to cut camel.
        Just like cuttin up a deer, cept fer the humps( this was a two humper) & long neck.

1 kilo of Pistachio's is hardly enough for this recipe

Comment

I have never tried camel and probably never will. Not that I have anything against it mind you. Just have way too many recipes to try.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, I always get mine at Costco, but I usually have to get the butcher to pull me some from the back.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John you can get small camels in cases of 3 at Costco. Special request.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sadly, (like many times in my life), I feel like such a dullard, fer drivin, or ground poundin by so many opportunities to have tried this particular protein source, often times already cooked, sometimes even still smokin from th pit...

Was on a 'rather hectic' Business Trip, an couldn't take th Leisure Time...

Havedta admit, though: Most I ever done seened looked considerable past their "Best When Used By:" date...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 24, 2021, 09:21 PM.

I wonder where Deputy Ruth got the camel, captured in an uprising? One of the perks of the job 🤔

Comment

Chick-lam-el...a classic...

Comment

Well I guess since I already have the 5 tablespoons of black pepper and some extra salt I can use to taste I’m ready for the next time I happen come across ye old medium sized camel at the local Kroger or the 20 chickens that I find myself needing to feed the family or 4.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya can always set traps fer em in yer back yard, hope fer th best, Brother!

Probly bout equal odds, I'd havedta reckon!

I feel the lack of spices suggests the recipe writer either has poor taste, or has not made the dish before posting. The lack of effort or awareness of the writer is very disappointing. It seems like would require AT LEAST 15—20 Tbsp black pepper, probably several cups of good kosher salt, and likely a few lbs of high quality trinitrotoluene to properly prepare a medium camel.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Everyone knows the importance of trinitrotoluene to the outcome of a properly prepared camel is essential. If not, they’re a damn fool!

Well Done, Crew!

We'un's has made it this far...

So now...

Th Big Question...:

Do We Spatchcock???

Inject salt into th hump(s), let it permeate throughout???

Mebbe a wet brine'd be better? I dunno...

Melted butter injection???

Logic dictates it's havedta be purty lean, given their grazin facilities, thereabouts, from what I done seened...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 24, 2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Panhead John trinitrotoluene worked out quite well in the case of a whale.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I mean, what's not to LOVE, bout em decidin to blow up an 8 ton Sperm whale, with approx. ½ a Ton of dynamite???

Loved th Engineer shots, there, in their shiny hardhats, made my evenin, bout 2nd time through th vidya!

Still Funny, years after I done first seent it...

Attaboyz, glad I Enlisted, insteada wastin me time, in college, too much...

Managed to walk away with at least some Common Sense still intact...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 24, 2021, 11:13 PM. Reason: S

• Caffeine88
                Caffeine88 commented
                Editing a comment
                Precisely the sort of stuffing/seasoning I had in mind!

This one brings me to tears every time.

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                It won’t be long before the food delivery services adopt this method for fast deliveries throughout towns. Guaranteed to arrive hot, somewhere near your address!

In defence of the author the recipe was created 'cause they were tired of desserts and sand-wiches.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Sand wiches … you’re killing me!

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are good!

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                Drop the mike!

First off, how dare GolfGeezer question Depity Ruth! She is now officially thee hero in cheferry here in the Pit. I think we should have an interview of her. We know she done it cuz she said it feeds 80 to a hunnert people.
              Second, I echo Huskee ‘s sediments as to how big is this sucker. A medium camel? As in regards to a jumbo hot dog or large turkey? Also, Debra brought up the question one hump or two, there is a taste differnce, & will it effect the tastes of the other victuals.
              Then there is Bonesy’s question do we spatchcock this critter or not? Is spatchcock or critter appropriate words fer this hunk of meat or hunk a hunk of, in the case of it bein a dromedary. These are questions that can only be answered by Depity Ruth.

Comment

After further research there will be no interview. District Deputy Ruth died in April of last year.
                The recipe was a single humper and it could feed up to a hunnert & fitty peeps (that’s 150 to you in Oconomowoc).

Comment

• smokenoob
                  smokenoob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmmmm…..cause of death? camelinosis? shoulda cooked it longer

ecowper

Eric, next time you come to a Texas Meat-Up you're in charge of making this.
                Last edited by 58limited; December 12, 2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

With all the questions left up in the air with this dish, and Ruth no longer available to answer any questions, I’m telling my kids and grandkids to remove one medium camel from my Christmas wish list. Now, what am I going to do with 30 bags of Purina Camel Chow?’

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Being single and all, I’m sticking with the small camels. In fact, a baby dromedary is perfect for my needs. A medium sized camel would just go to waste. And if there’s one thing I hate, it’s throwing away perfectly good camel meat.

• wu7y
                    wu7y commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can't argue with that PHJ. I've seen the pictures of your prom date.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn, never throw out camel meat. Freeze it in 6 oz portions and then use it to make beans. Duh.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here