Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Technique - Purge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr ROK
    replied
    Last night I sous vide a mini prime rib roast that I coated with Cow Crust prior to cooking. The purge was excellent in the au jus I made. Gave the au jus the same flavor as the rub. Perfect match. I sautéed a clove of garlic in evoo, added about a half cup of cabernet and reduced till syrupy. Then added a can of Campbell's consume and a sprinkle of beef base and the purge. Reduced a bit and man was it tasty. Thanks for posting this process/technique!

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Originally posted by lLowjiber View Post
    I'm just putting my toe in the SV waters
    OK ... There's a joke in there somewhere ... just need a little more caffeine to think of a good one ...

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Great info, Potkettleblack ... thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. Please pay it forward.

• Lowjiber
    replied
    Thanks a zillion-times for this piece, Potkettleblack. I'm just putting my toe in the SV waters, and you've finally revealed how to handle the purge. Being an old hillbilly cook, I just tried to use as I would the juice from a conventionally cooked roast and quickly discovered that I was somehow making a huge mistake.

This should be "required reading" for anyone venturing into SV cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    You are welcome to try. Consider that the albumin that is coming out of the purge is not terribly dissimilar to gently cooked egg white. It's not remotely the same as what drips off a roast... it's not fatty... I encourage the experiment, though.

• Bruce54
    replied
    So, what if you took the filtered out albumin, threw it in a pan with a little oil / fat of choice, and browned it up? Just a speculation, but wouldn't the post Maillard reaction bits be a close relative to the drippings in a roasting pan? I haven't tried this, but maybe following the next SV chuck ...

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Tom. I'm trying out a technique for rub adherence post sous vide that I've seen in a couple of places. That's a problem I've had that needs a solution. Given the snow is falling, grill proof might be a while.

• Tom M
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with Moscuba and he knows his sous vide! Potkettleblack, thanks for that tip. I have been straining my liquid because of the albumin, but not knowing the science of it. Hope to see more from you.

• Michael Brinton
    commented on 's reply
    I did my dark meat on the smoker, but did my breast in the style you mentioned. Really great.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    For my Thanskgiving turkey parts, I did a brine in bag of 1.5% by weight of turkey meat with 5-2 salt-sugar mix. If you recall your Blonder on Marinades, you will note this is all stuff that will penetrate well, and since it's going in a bag and hot, it will penetrate fast. With some sage leaves in the dark meat bag, this made a most glorious turkey stock for gravy.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome.

• Michael Brinton
    replied
    Just did a few rib eyes sv and utilized the purge technique to add to a simple mustard sauce. Just chicken stock, Dijon mustard, butter, adding the purge (microwaved, strained) then a slight reduction. I've done that simple sauce a hundred times but just that slight addition added a complexity... wow! My five year old won't touch sauces but this time she was dipping her steak in.

Leave a comment:

• Moscuba
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. I've tried and tried but never figured out how to use the purge. Agree on lightly seasoning the meat and far less salt in SV than would normally be used. If using brined meat, no salt in the bag (too salty and could cause the meat to over tenderize)

Cheers!

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Just taste it after filtering and if you're going to reduce, don't salt without tasting.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here