Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Technique - Purge

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackralph
    commented on 's reply
    a few questions. As it is lamb I am ultimately planning for, which is a little salty to begin with, I should be really aiming for what, a 1/4 tsp per pound of salt? For a boneless leg, how long to cook, & at what temp? This is a little out there for christmas dinner, but we are going with East Indian theme. (mix of carnivores & stooped vegans, so Indian flavours work) Lamb plan is tandoori flavours. I want it to be rare side of medium.

• jackralph
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Thank you!. I am uber new to SV. Also after being a fan of Meathead et al from 2014(ish?) this is my 1st comment in the pit forum. I'm shy n stuff. Anyhoo. I am an ex-aussie living in Canada. So Christmas means Lamb! I do not have an SV, however I have been playing with my digital thermometer and a saucepan of water on the stove top for a day or two. I can confidently get it to sit steady at 130. I am dry brining a 2" chuck that I intend to do a dry run on tomorrow....

• Skip
    replied
    I guess that I somehow missed this when it originally posted. Thanks everyone for the wonderful information! Maybe I'll finally be able to make a decent sauce for SV'd proteins!

Leave a comment:

• lonnie mac
    replied
    Thanks brother! This was a revelation to me and my Diablo Mustard reduction sauce over my SV Tenderloins! I'll never do it any other way now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	425112

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Great to see you rocking and rolling in the kitchen again, Lonnie.

• lonnie mac
    replied
    Tried this for the first time tonight using some SV Pork Tenderloin purge. For years I have ruined a pan sauce or two. Not anymore! This trick just worked FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for this tip man. The goobers just coagulated up into a huge ball. Didn't even need to strain. Just carefully poured out the goodness into my pan sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4684.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	425066

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Great tutorial indeed!

Leave a comment:

• allsid
    replied
    Thank you Potkettleblack for this tutorial! The microwave trick is a game changer. I used it this week with 2 prime strips cooked from frozen at 131. Was surprised to see almost 80% of the purge coagulated, but I strained and deglazed some asparagus with the liquid and got high marks with SWMBO.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Would kick up the flavor of the consommé.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    You need to coagulate the albumin. Boiling is the most efficient way. Microwave is the fastest way to that. You could cook on the stovetop.

• Robd71
    replied
    Is microwaving absolutely necessary? Or can you just strain through the coffee filter?

Leave a comment:

• binarypaladin
    replied
    I did my first roasts sous vide recently and knew the juices had potential but... I whiffed hard. Now I understand what happened. Thanks. I got an idea for... heck, I bet that would make a lovely addition to French onion soup.

Leave a comment:

• binarypaladin
    commented on 's reply
    I wonder if it would work as "smoothie fodder." It sounds gross but it'd probably disappear in a decent smoothie. I wonder what dehydration and pulverizing would produce (besides a lot of work).

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, pretty much what I figured, but I was looking for easy answers! ;-)

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I use a coffee filter in a mesh strainer. If there's a lot of albumin, it's probably clogging the filter. If you can skim some of that, it should flow better. If it's really collagen rich, as shank purge would be, it might be that a skim and a fine mesh is gonna be good enough.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here