Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of No Fresh Herbs... Time for an Indoor Herb Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of making a hanging herb garden for my south facing windows. I have seen a few online that hang down from the window frame. Although, I do worry about the cold window pane being so close to the plants, more so at night when I would not have the solar energy to keep those plants warm.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	969447

Comment

I'm getting started with an indoor herb garden myself. Just waiting for the seeds to come in. Oh, and I need to find a small rosemary plant -- they're very hard to start from seed, as somebody wise upthread said.

We have a goofy black cat with a taste for any kind of plant, so I can't keep them in the kitchen window or anywhere else in the house. We do, however, have a new small pop-up greenhouse that fits in our windowed-in back porch, and that's where they will go, complete with grow-lights and seedling mats until they get themselves established.

Thanks for the mention of lemongrass -- I can never find that in stores, and it looks like Baker Creek has seeds.

Comment

Great ideas for indoor herbs. I don't know if there are smaller lemon grass cultivars available, the lemon grass I grew outside last year stunned me how giant it got. By the end of the season it filled the entire herb garden. All the others stay manageable with some trimming. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200801_093319.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	969796

Comment

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn't know Lemongrass grew like a weed so much! Mint basically took over our herb garden a year ago... the most resilient non-weed I have ever seen.

• Michael Brinton
          Michael Brinton commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely right those mint runners are aggressive. The lemon grass got tall maybe with the indoor lighting it would keep it from getting that high. The top 2 feet was leaves anyway. I wasn't good on trimming either.

I can't say that I have a big success with an indoor garden. I have tried several times to plant some basilica and oregano flowers, but I didn't manage to grow them. Can you tell me some tips that will help? I don't know what the problem is, but all the time plants dry after one month even if I used to water them correctly. At first, I thought that the problem was in seeds, but after buying them from 3 different stores it didn't help. I have even bought a good pair of garden shares, I don't know why because they are useless for me, but I just wanted to have a special pair of scissors for my plants. I will be very glad if you will help me.
        Last edited by MilerPip; April 15, 2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaAnn View Post
          https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/aerogarden.html

check this out. It’s expensive, but I think it may be a good solution for you.
          Good recommendation! Our son gave us one just over a month ago and I can attest to the fact that setup was a breeze and that it is a prolific little producer of fresh herbs as long as you keep up with simple maintenance (daily watering, pruning as needed (dill grows at the rate of 1-2" per day, and feeding every two weeks). There is also the apparent need to prune roots once in a while ... but we haven't gotten there yet). Each unit is pretty small (room for six plants in ours) and if you're a big user of herbage, you could easily find yourself needing more than one. You might also find that a dehydrator makes sense as you look for ways to not waste all the pruning that you'll find yourself doing.

Here's a couple of pics at 21 and 37 days:

Name:	F987F298-81C3-4781-ABC8-767418B4A49C.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1017283

Name:	E6DF98F3-AC20-4462-AE56-3F7124E3033F.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1017284

Note that there was a LOT of dill-pruning done between the two pics.

All-in-all, highly recommended ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here