Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of No Fresh Herbs... Time for an Indoor Herb Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick of No Fresh Herbs... Time for an Indoor Herb Garden

The other day, I went to 5 different stores trying to find Thyme and/Rosemary for use in a compound butter for my Filets. Not a single store had Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, or Basil, including the more boutique type market I visited... they were all out of stock.

I want to start an indoor herb garden for fresh herbs year around. Basically, all four I just mentioned plus Chives and maybe Lemongrass or Dill for started. I live in Michigan so I can’t effectively grow herbs outdoors more than 4 months a year.

Does anyone have success with indoor herb gardens? Good resources on how to set this up without spending a boatload of $$$ but also still being effective?

help me find herbs Pit!!

All those holiday roasts wiped out the stock of fresh herbs I’m guessing.

Comment

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely, but this isn’t the first time by a long shot that I’ve had this problem... in the summer it’s much better, but in the fall and winter it’s very hot or miss

Looks like you have several indoor nurserys in your area that have herbs. I would start there with their starts and they would help you with getting started with your indoor garden.

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Good advice. Some herbs like rosemary are super finicky to get started from seed so started plants will make it easier

You'll need a full spectrum light (or natural light) and reasonable warmth. Given where you are, I'd suspect that you'll need a light and perhaps a heating pad under the planter. A lot will depend on a) how many herbs you want to have available and b) your situation in terms of heat and light.

Comment

You can grow from seeds, but some of them will seem to take forever to sprout ut. Parsley for example can take 6 weeks before you see the first seedling come up. I suggest a small grow light and timer to keep them happy. These I started about 3 months ago.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	7B643C86-3E07-4857-807C-B9FD2D38689E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	968131Click image for larger version  Name:	21536304-5D71-4858-A70F-C1782251A467.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	968132

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa, Purple Haze!

I know somebody who has some grow lights in his attic that might be willing to part with a few. As soon as his parole kicks in.

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Not that kind of herb garden... but I could probably use the grow light

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Those damn gummies never grow and double... 😜

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz Oy!!! If I could only grow some Gummies!!!

Mebbe when I gits all bucked up, like Zero:

check this out. It’s expensive, but I think it may be a good solution for you.

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks easy, which is good because I sure don’t have a green thumb... hmmm, great recommendation!

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        My brother has one. It's really cool.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks easy but my wife has killed plastic flowers.

+1 for the Aero Garden. I have one, and it works as advertised. In fact this was just the reminder I needed to get more pods ordered.

Comment

Saw a pretty neat set up on one of those tiny house shows. They made a planter system that mounted to the wall. The bottom pot is actually an automatic watering system: water and nutrients are pumped up to the pots with the plants. The plant pots have a drain that empties through a hose back down to the water pot. The TV show really didn't show how they made it but it shouldn't be too hard to design.

Last edited by 58limited; January 3, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

+1 more for the AeroGarden. I've had good results with mine. The only problem is the taller plants shading out the shorter ones, but that may be because I suck at even pruning plants properly.

Comment

This AeroGarden is intriguing. The reason I've never done an indoor herb garden is that any of the windows with natural lights are in range of the cats! I could have this in my home office (which is off limits to the cats).

Comment

• jhoskins
              jhoskins commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly my thought, except dog rather than cat.

I wonder if the color of the lights/brightness would be annoying in a home office?

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              From what I can tell from the various reviews, the light is incredibly bright, almost blindingly. So it could work, just don't put it where it can reflect off of a computer monitor, I suppose.

Seed starting you'd probably want to wait until spring/summer unless you have a really warm spot in your house. Otherwise, you'll have to get seed mats and all the rest to really guarantee success.

If you have a place nearby with starts you can still buy then potting some up under a grow light will work. It takes up lots of space but moving things out during the summer and inside during the winter will give you year-round herbs. The only one that seems to hate our house is rosemary. Somehow my curry leaf plant is doing better than thyme despite it being 50f near the window.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210104_153636865.MP.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	968510

All that said I got an AeroGarden for the holidays and I think it will be a winner like others have said. Small space which means I'll be forced to do lots of harvests to keep it under control. After just a week going things are doing better than my garden starts usually do. Note: the light is on for 15hrs so you'll want to make sure you have a place that isn't going to bother you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210104_154211771.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	968511

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Even though I am in Southern California, I start my seedlings (tomatoes, faves, peas, red bells) indoors with a seed mat. I have saved certain take out containers and created mini greenhouses for them. After they get about 4 -5 inches tall, I harden them and move to pots outside on the patio. Sometimes I have great success, sometimes not. I would like to try the aerogarden, though, for herbs.

You can easily propagate many herbs. If you have a live plant it is easier but you can buy fresh herbs at the store and then trim them and place them in water. Here's what I do with rosemary, basil, mint , sage,

1. If you have a live plant, snip off 3 inches of New Growth. (if not then take the sprigs they give you. Choose the freshest ones.)

2. With a sharp knife slice off at an angle so as not to crush the stem) slice off a 1/2 inch of the stem.

3. Pull off the bottom leaves to end up with about 2 inches of stem .

4. Place in a small glass of water just to cover the bare stem.

5. Place on a sunny window sill.

6. Every so often change the water so bacteria doesn't grow

7. Eventually you will see roots develop. This took a few week for rosemary. Let the roots grow about two inches.

8. Transfer to a small pot with potting soil. Water carefully so as not to flood the plant but keep it moist.

9. In two weeks you will see new leaves develop. You're good to go!

(Another trick to make propagating easier: go to your garden store and buy "Rooting Hormone". It's a white powder. Dip the cleaned stem in the powder -you only need a little. And stick the stem directly in the soil.
            I've had success with this several herbs.

BTW: There is no need to keep buying green onions , shallots or garlic. place the root end in a cup of water.
            The onions will stay fresh , they will grow rots and you will have a to of green tops to snip off.

EASY PEESIE!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not had the best luck with green onions, etc. but romaine and red leaf did well until they got super water logged. Maybe I did something wrong?

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              SheilaAnn -- my guess is you're overwatering. I plant green onions directly in a pot of soil. Even the grocery store green onions with trimmed roots -- I get a bunch, cook with the ones that have ALL the roots chopped off, and plant the ones with little bits of stubby roots. Water as you would a normal houseplant -- not too wet, not too dry. Give them a couple of weeks to establish roots.
              Last edited by IowaGirl; January 6, 2021, 08:12 AM.

Sorry for all the typos!

Comment

hmmm, the onions will grow roots quite easily. Don't submerge the bulbs though or they will rot. Just enough water to keep them 1/2 covered. Never tried it with lettuce. Neat! I bet celery and radishes would work too but IMO
              it's just about having a supply of fresh herbs on hand. Radishes, celery etc. are not that expensive and take up space on my little window sill...cool idea though!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here