Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Hatch chiles coming soon -- what to do wit 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully, everyone's chili heat level agrees with their tastes. I bought my first batch of roasted Hatch chiles last year from a friend, and found out they were the hotter version. And I grow jalapeño and serrano chilies in the summer!
    I still have 6 quart bags in my freezer! 🤯

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Their website says the peppers are running mild this year. I bought the extra hot Lumbre variety but the jalapenos in my garden are a lot hotter.

So my Charger chiles showed up yesterday. I roasted and froze them today, holding some out for dinner over in SUWYC. I opted for oven roasting since I don't really taste smoke in the Big Jim green chiles I did a few weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-02 15.25.24-1.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	918985

The Big Jim red chiles were a day behind, and showed up in today's mail. I plan to process them tomorrow.

I have a few questions about them. So far, I've had much more trouble peeling the peppers that have gone to orange or red after roasting them. Will these reds have the same issue? Is there something I can do to make them easier to peel?

Also, a few of the peppers have started going a bit soft. How selective should I be in tossing them or cutting out soft spots?

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Steaming is your friend. Put them into a bag as mnavarre suggests or into anything that will promote steaming.

When I get mine directly from the roaster, they will dump all of the original 20 lbs back into the burlap sack and then toss that unceremoniously into a garbage bag. LOL For that amount it works.

If I’m only doing a few pounds at home...I’ll toss ‘em into a covered roaster or Pyrex dish depending on how many I’m doing.

Once they’ve steamed a bit, the skins slide off easier.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as the soft spots...
      What are you doing with them?
      For sauces, soups, stews, chilis and the like, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. They’re most likely gonna get pulverized anyway.,.at least some of them.

Obviously, if the texture/shape is important...like on a burger, then it’s best to use one not so soft. But as part of a sauce, or similar, go for it.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog Perfect timing for this! The peppers are steaming now. There's one bag of ones that are firm and another where I felt they were questionable. I'll freeze separately and use as you suggest. I'm also going to taste one questionable one just to be sure...

So, it seems like smoke doesn't matter when you roast. No point roasting over wood instead of charcoal. Right?

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Any heat source will work. Just want to get them charred. When I roast them, I use my gas grill. So whatever way you can get heat on them.

Thought I would share one other way of using chiles, at least here in New Mexico. The chile season brings ristras, with usually red chile or even the smaller chile piquin type. My wife loves having a ristra hanging on the front door and we also have one hanging on the hood vent. I picked this up Friday - many people will also use these for cooking, and go through them fairly quickly. But, ours is decoration only.

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here