Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Hatch chiles coming soon -- what to do wit 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few recipes here as well

Last edited by Arsenlael; July 7, 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I was raised in NM and Green Chile gets used almost daily in my house...(I road trip down to Las Cruces every year and stock up during harvest). Eggs (any egg dish is better with them IMO), Stew, Salsa, Pizza (one of my favorites, Soffrito and Rellenos...are some of my favorites....if they are fresh make sure you roast them as mentioned above. One of life's great pleasures for me.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! Yes to everything you add GC to!!! Green chile hash browns! Breakfast burritos! It’s all good!

Anything that contains salsa verde, I could eat the stuff in a bowl by itself. Hatch chilis are sold roasted here outside the HEB supermarket. They probably roast about 300# daily and sell them all. Can't wait for for the onslaught !!

Comment

Anybody freeze em, roast later? I've never ordered fresh...

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          They get a little wrinkled when they thaw but are still good. Just not a great presentation but roast fine.

I use them for jerky too.

Comment

A store here buys hundreds of pounds and roasts them out front in a mesh cylinder and fire. Smells great. Looking forward to this.

Comment

Anyone roast theirs on a pellet grill or kettle? I just sold the gasser and not sure what I should use. Could take a long time if I have to use the Q1000. I saw this thread and hastily ordered for the first time not thinking it through first.

Comment

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              The broiler in your oven works well, especially if it’s gas.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Broiler in the oven is a great idea. But the kettle would work great to, may even provide a wonderful flavor profile that the gasser wouldn’t ..

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've kettle roasted many times. It is helpful to build a smoking hot fire to speed up the process a bit. Then again a faster roast is less time with that aroma from heaven.

I use our Weber gasser with all the burners on high.

Comment

One other idea - and this is a regional thing I think, because when I talk to colleagues around the country not everyone knows what it is, but Frito Pie topped with chopped green chile..... make a red chile con carne, or take red chile powder and add some ground beef/turkey, add some liquid/broth/water and make a chile to pour of frito chips or tortilla chips with toppings,onions, cheese, lettuce, tomato - but the best part is the chopped green chile!

Reading some of the other comments, you can’t go wrong with anything. Green Chile goes in everything!

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                It sounds like a more flavorful version of what midwesterners call a "walking taco."

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's what I have in mind that I'd call a walking taco. Good fair food. - https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...to-pie-recipe/

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                IowaGirl - YES!!!! That is exactly it! Now, I’ve never eaten out of a bag of Fritos, but yes, that is such a great meal! Especially with that green chile!

So I've been quiet until now, but I've been reading y'alls suggestions. Here are some of my favorites --

Preservation --

Roast and freeze whole chiles. I'm building a file with all of your advice for roasting and freezing.
              Make a large batch of salsa verde and either freeze or can

Recipes that are catchin' my eye right now --

Mac and cheese w chiles
              Verde enchiladas
              Green pork chile
              Tamales with pulled pork and green chiles (I'm needing a reason to make my second-ever batch of tamales. Want to see if the first batch was a tasty fluke or an honest trend)

A question about salsa verde --

The AR recipe for salsa verde use a goodly amount of chiles in proportion to the tomatillos and calls for chicken stock. In researching salsa verde on the 'net, I see most recipes are based mostly on tomatillos with only a few chiles and no chicken stock. Is the AR recipe more of a green enchilada sauce? Does it matter?

Comment

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                That salsa verde recipe really is more the kind of thing you'd use for enchiladas or chilaquiles, and a good base for Chile Verde con Carne. Personally, I'd skip sautéing the onion and garlic, instead for the simmering step get a couple tablespoons of oil or lard hot and dump the puree in so it splatters and fries then simmer it down.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I made the AR recipe kind of a couple of days ago - I combined it with this one https://cookieandkate.com/homemade-salsa-verde-recipe/. I roasted the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos (all I had) and garlic under the broiler, and I didn't add very much chicken stock. I also left it a little chunky. I fried and simmered it for about 30 minutes cause we were hungry. Turned out great. Next time I'll roast the stuff on the kettle.

My Verde recipe is probably more enchilada. I have tweaked it to my liking. When working with recipes if a recipe says use water I use broth and if it says use milk I use cream. and I really like chiles. Just me.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair enough! I think water and milk are overrated too.

IowaGirl This is the recipe I use for pork chile verde. Except I added an additional 14 Hatch chiles I previously roasted and about a 1/4lb more tomatillos. Kind of into the verde thing. My last cook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RGG.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	878421

Comment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                IowaGirl It may have been 9 additional chiles. Can't remember if I added a 4 pack and 1 or 2 five packs. It will still be plenty. The first time I ordered 10 pounds I had no idea just how many that would be. Holy crap is it a lot. Since it's only a $5 difference I figured it was a better bang for the buck. Gave some away, maybe 1-2 pounds. As folks have said, the uses are pretty endless.
                Last edited by Rod; July 10, 2020, 09:02 PM.

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                Like Rod said IowaGirl - a 5lb bag is quite a bit of chile. You will be good. He must pack the zip bags like I do, about 5 or so to a bag after roasting.

You will have a bunch to work with, you will enjoy it!

And I have another idea - do you bake? Bread? Make a green chile sourdough. You will be in for a treat.

• cgrover60
                cgrover60 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang. I'd say you done good.

IowaGirl I am sooooo jealous. IMHO there in no chili with the taste of a Hatch chili. The flavor is very unique and I love that flavor. I do not work with whole chilis because I do not know what I am doing but I would like to learn. I buy red Hatch chili powder directly from a NM supplier. It is a pure ground Hatch chili powder without added herbs/spices like many chili powders are. I buy medium and hot 1 pound bags and blend them together. I use it to make a killer enchilada sauce and I use it in place of recipes that call for paprika (like Memphis Dust). Cannot go wrong with Hatch chili !

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have the whole dried chiles, you can grind them to make your own chile powder. It's not as finely ground as the commercial stuff, but as or more flavorful. I remove the stem and seeds, breaking the chiles into pieces, put the pieces into my Blendtec blender (a Vitamix or Bullet blender are similar) and process until the pieces are finely broken up. I add maybe 1/16 tsp cornstarch (a couple of pinches) to about 1/4 c powder to help the powder stay flowable.

Ah, just found another tempting idea -- flour tortillas with Hatch chiles.

Here's one recipe -- https://www.thebrewerandthebaker.com/archives/18775

There's another recipe at the Homesick Texan website.

Comment

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                I was planning on making the recipe from the Homesick Texan website but the link you posted looks good too. I guess I'll have to do a side by side trial. I ordered some red chilis too, I think I'll make some red chili tortillas as well.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the main difference is the first one puts the chiles in the food processor along with the other dough ingredients. I'm guessing (not having done this recipe) that the chiles are broken up into smaller bits when the dough is mixed.

The Homesick Texan puts the diced chiles in the handmixed dough (no food processor). She talks about having to deal with the diced chiles not sticking in/on the tortilla. That didn't appeal to me as much.

5lbs...so like two weekends worth... LOL JK
              They're excellent in just about ANYTHING that could either use a bit of heat...or even a little something extra,
              I usually get them fresh roasted, or roast them myself if buying only a few. Roast 'em, get rid of the skin and add them to everything. ;-) Some good ideas have already been suggested...but they can also be added to breads, on top of steaks, into or on top of burgers, the list goes on.

Once cooled & skinned, they can be vacuum packed & frozen...ready to use when needed. They WILL lose some texture though...but depending on the dish, that might not matter.

FWIW, I've been known to buy three 20lb bags and have them roasted on site.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here