Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Hatch chiles coming soon -- what to do wit 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This recipe from Serious Eats is excellent.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Just printed this recipe, looks great. I have a pound of Rancho Gordo Ayocote Blanco beans that I'll save for this recipe.
      Last edited by 58limited; July 13, 2020, 07:11 PM.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on 58limited. I am so making this. Got a couple bags of Ranch Gordo beans just looking for a good recipe.

Got my mild Hatch chiles a little over a week ago, but life didn't slow down enough until today for me to get them roasted. They kept fine in the fridge in a closed plastic bag.

There were 32 nice sized chiles in my 5 pound order, which should last me for awhile, allowing as how I'm a native born Iowan just learning about the pleasures of cooking with chiles. I think I'll use some to make salsa verde and freeze the rest.

Many thanks to all who shared their roasting tips and recipe ideas. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and creativity.

Comment

Got my Chargers bout two weeks ago...5 lbs.; give away bout 1.5~ lbs to friends/family/neighbours...rest is gone, already...

Orderin more, today...

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Gone already? Holy smoke! 🤒

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Like I said jokingly in my previous comment...5lb, so about two weekends worth. ;-)

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Order more, regret less, th resta th year, shall be my Battle Cry, from hence, forth...

As a native New Mexican it does my heart good to see our diverse group sharing the magic of Hatch chile. New Mexico appreciates you!

For generations, New Mexicans have made a living from the land, herding cattle, growing pecans, creating magnificent pieces of jewelry from stones harvested underground. Today those traditions live on, supporting present day families and inspiring a new generation of makers, growers and ranchers. When you buy jewelry, textiles, arts and crafts, food, wine, beer and other products with the New Mexico True Certified mark, you have our promise that they are authentically “New Mexico True”—made, grown and born & raised right here with pride, love and the finest quality ingredients. Buy authentic. Buy local. Buy New Mexico True Certified.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Although it often goes unsaid, Brother... cgrover60

Wanted yall to know, we appreciate yall, as well...

Speaking of hatch chili, reminds me of my days in New Mexico. I lived there in 87’, was running a sales office & was goin back home for a weekend. In & around Albuquerque they were sellin chili’s on every street corner. Flew into Detroit Metro & had this big blue old fashioned fiberglass suit case with me, not a carry on by any means. So there I was with a small duffel & huge case. When we got home my wife wondered what was up with the portable vault I was carrying & why was it so heavy. Got home & lugged the case in, set it on the kitchen table. I opened the safe up & voila, with a big grin presented maybe 30# of roasted chilis, much to her shock & amazement. The events & story that ensued is for another time.

Comment

Hopefully, I wiill still be alive an kickin fer th ensuin story, Brother, on accounta, believe ya me, I, fer one, at least, am summat intrigued lol!

Comment

Instead of pimento cheese, how’s about green chile cheese?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm in on this!
            YUM!!!

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Both!

Ordered 5 lbs today off the web after seeing the sad state of the Hatch Chilies they were offering up at the local KROGER here in Indiana. Gearing up to be an awesome Labor Day out roasting peppers and I have some racks of ribs in the freezer that are beggin to be smoked.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Which variety did ya order? I had 5# Chargers, gave perhaps 1/3 away, ate through th rest in less than 2 weeks... :

More on order lol!

Mine arrived fresh an vibrant, much better than what I see in th stores...

Lotsa personal communication from Preston, as well...Hailuvva nice guy, Class Act, all around, in my book...

An yall knows I grades TOUGH... )

• USMCCrashCrew89
            USMCCrashCrew89 commented
            Editing a comment
            I went with the Big Jim’s to try out, the hottest we typically get around our house is jalapeños, though the was an incident involving a bunch of white pepper and chili garlic sauce when I got assigned to make a pot of hot n sour soup a while back. I think that stuff could have stripped paint!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I went fer th Chargers; they was described by th site as slightly hotter than Big Jims, more consistent, heatwise; apparently Big Jims can vary widely, heat-wise, even from th same plant, etc., accordin to Preston, an Crew...

I hope that yers are an absolute delight, an look forward to hearin yer experience, Teufel Hund

Welp, Y'all talked me in to it. Got 10 lbs. of Big Jims inbound at some point in the near future. Might need to clear some freezer space...

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Once you get 'em roasted, they flatten down a lot, so maybe less freezer space than you'd think.

I received my 25 lb case of Big Jims on Thursday, roasted them Friday night. They are in the fridge, now to vacuum seal them.

Later this month I'll receive a case of red ripe Big Jims and that should do me for the year. Already finished the 10 lbs of Chargers I got last month and started on the ones I got from HEB. The ones from HEB were fresh and in great shape, no rot or shriveling. Same with the case I received in the mail.

Is it wrong to be googling chili pepper roasters?
          Last edited by 58limited; September 5, 2020, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            That should do it...
            I usually get 2-3 20lb bags...and have them roasted on site. I bag ‘em up and use them year round.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            If googlin chili pepper roasters is wrong, then I don't ever wanna be right, Brother lol!

Gots me 50 more lbs. on th way, next week... Sandia, an Lumbre...

Off to cruise Amazon, fer a "Glutton" emblazoned baseball cap lol

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I broke down and ordered 10 lbs of the Lumbre X-hot peppers yesterday. They will be here next Thursday. Now I will have mild through extra hot versions on hand.

Dropped by the store yesterday and this followed me home. LOL
          Click image for larger version

Name:	4DF7271D-8AA4-479D-9ED2-9B00E2188919.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	907193
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Ironically the entire West Coast is on fire, my yard and garden are covered in a thin layer of ash, and they couldn't ship my order this week because New Mexico (or at least the Hatch valley) got 2 inches of rain so they couldn't harvest.

Go figure.

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear on the delay. We did get weather this week, cold front that dropped temps over 40 degrees within 36 hours, along with the rain.

Hope those chiles get to you soon! Enjoy them! I got my sack of chile last week - got a hot batch too

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm honestly fine. They're supposed to ship next week, and that's pushing up on prime season. I might even get some hotter ones on order. And I've been getting some pretty dang good Anaheim lately, so that's some consolation.

It's been a long time since I lived in Albuquerque, and this thread made me miss the aroma of roasting chiles in the air around this time of year. So I ordered five pounds each of mild and medium which arrived two days ago. Today is going to be the first sunny day in about a week, and I'm going out to the backyard and roast hatch green and maybe smoke up some of Meathead's cherry tomato raisins while I'm there.

And I'm seriously thinking of ordering another five pounds of medium hot, before it's all gone.

Comment

I am weak. Since I'm almost halfway through my 5 pounds of Big Jims, I succumbed to today's email from Hatch and ordered 5 pounds of Chargers and 5 pounds of Red Big Jims.

Comment

My 25 lb box of red Big Jims arrived and I roasted them on the PK-O yesterday. These are some of the biggest peppers I've ever seen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3189.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	916266

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3190.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	916267

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here