Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jar Pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jar Pickles

Here you go TheGrizMan

Ingredients

4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
    4 cups water
    2 cups white vinegar
    8-12 cloves of garlic,
    6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
    A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
    1 teaspoon coriander seed
    1 teaspoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon mustard seed
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Thanks I know what I will be making this year

Comment

I love Pickles!!!! Thanks for posting!

Comment

This is our go-to guy for all kinds of pickles, kimchi, ...

He is an entertaining writer, and gives really solid instructions. His dill pickles are unbelievable (like when I was a kid and you could pull them out of the barrel at the grocery store).

Oh, and the kraut! Don't do reubens without it!

I'd go so far as to say that he's inspired me to become a professional microbe herder if there's ever a post-apocalyptic scenario!

Hmn, this one is supposed to be even better (same author): https://www.amazon.com/dp/160358286X/?tag=amazi0a8-20
        Last edited by EdF; April 2, 2017, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks!

I love making homemade Sauer kraut! Absolutely worth it. I use these to make it easy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5EP6MA/?tag=amazi0a8-20

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The 5 Gal food grade plastic buckets (get them from the local bakery) are good too! ;-)

Did someone say homemade sauerkraut?

• Mikey C
          Mikey C commented
          Editing a comment
          Well gotta have some of those...

I am a fan of these.
        Simple--and I've never had a ferment fail.
        WAY cheaper than the Harscht Crocks I now have stored i the shed.
        The seal on top lets you completely eliminate any air contact with the ferment.
        I am just getting ready to pull a batch of fermented cucumbers right now.
        No dill or any other flavoring except the salt water brine. I do love a REALLY tart cucumber ferment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crazy-Korean...3D182445249004

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          I have heard great things about these! I also love "sour pickles"! Gotta get some fermenting started soon.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          They seem to speed up a ferment significantly. I believe it is because it completely eliminates any air circulation.

Add part of a fresh grape leaf on the top of the jar. It keeps pickles crispy naturally.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice tip, thanks!

ecowper, You might also try this in the spring or fall with green tomatoes. Delicious and crispy!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds like something to try out! Also, green beans and asparagus.

• Mikey C
          Mikey C commented
          Editing a comment
          Love doing the green beans

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here