Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Top 5 Most Hated Vegetables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well when I was a kid I thought I hated most every vegetable, but in my adulthood I realize that it was because my mom & grandmother usually served them out of a can

Still, there are some I still hate even if not canned. Okra is my #1 top hated veggie, I despite it in every form I've tasted. I have never had beets I have liked either, and the only way I've ever been able to eat spinach is uncooked in a salad (which ain't bad honestly)

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re weird. 🥸 I love okra! Any shape or form.

FireMan list plus Jicama. Otherwise everything is okay.

Comment

I love veggies, but don’t eat enough of them, at least according to my doc. That said, I tend to shy away from asparagus & beets. I like asparagus on occasion, but lately I don’t like them in any way, especially when I have to pee.

Collards, pintos and cornbread with sliced tomato will get my dad and me fired up. Granny and my mom know what’s up when it comes to those things.

Comment

Probably just eggplant, but I wouldn't refuse to eat it if it was the only vegetable being served. I've never prepared it myself. Many here seem to hate Brussels sprouts. I like them and there are some roasted Brussels sprouts dishes that I would easily pick over most any vegetable.

Comment

1. White asparagus, I'll eat it but I won't prepare it... too much effort and I prefer the green stuff anyway.
          2. Zucchini, another that I'll eat but it's not my thing. Usually people cook it all soggy, YUCK
          3. Any kind of squash, I just won't eat it. Probably tastes good, but I grew up on a farm that grew squash and for some reason I just can't move the fork from the plate to my mouth
          4. Beets, had 'em good one time. Every other time they just contaminate something on my plate
          5. Eggplant, can't stand the stuff... Why parmesan eggplant when you can have veal instead?

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Love zucchini have some growing in my garden now

Okra, at least the slimy sh*t. There might be a preparation I'd eat.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            Try coated and fried sliced okra. So different from what people usually think about when the word okra comes up.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Donw I tried fried okra when traveling and I LOVE it, never had the other slimy version. Not too popular where I'm at.

• Dick Anderson
            Dick Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe I'll try growing it; they're pretty plants. I like getting my grandson to try new things from the garden.

I am actually surprised at the amount of people that cook Brussels sprouts or asparagus with their dinners on the Show us what your cooking threads. I love both those plus pretty much all other veggies.

All time favorite is:
          broccoli
          potatoes

Ones I don’t like that I’ve had:
          okra
          canned spinach (but like fresh)
          canned peas (but like fresh)
          mushrooms - don’t know how these classify, but they should remain off plates!

Comment

Eggplant
            Eggplant
            Eggplant
            Eggplant
            Oh yea and Eggplant

Comment

1. KALE
              2. Eggplant

Those were the only two I could come up with, and I truly despise them. The rest below I got from lists above - I couldn't even think of anything else.

3. Jicama (agreed as above - tasteless and a waste of effort to eat)
              4. Lima beans
              5. Turnips/turnip greens

Comment

Mushrooms
                olives

Comment

1. Sweet Potatoes
                  2. Yams
                  3. Beets
                  4. Pumpkin
                  5. Sweet Potatoes

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                    DavidNorcross commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Curious...how do you like sweet potatoes?

Really interesting thread to read. There are many comments re: childhood memories of canned vegetables. For us older folks, depending of course where you were raised and the family economics, year-round fresh vegetables were most likely not available or affordable. Therefore, other than during the growing/harvest season, many of us ate canned/jarred vegetables. And I was damn glad to do so. Are fresh vegetables better, you bet; but, I would not push the plate away if canned kale, spinach, hominy, beets, butter beans, or sweet corn was served . . . . in fact it would bring back fond memories.

Also, I cannot think of one vegetable I will not eat. But I do not enjoy what is sometimes sold as sweet corn but tastes more like feed corn. I prefer my feed corn as finished meat product on my grill/smoker thank you !

Comment

• Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My favorite corn is the Sweet Olathe corn grown in Colorado. Best corn I’ve ever had. We can get it here in Houston from late July till about September.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here