Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Top 5 Most Hated Vegetables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a big fan of green bell peppers but they're just unripe. That's about it though.

Comment

The only one I can think of the I truly hate is Lima Beans.

Beets (home canned), Brussel Sprouts, Turnips, and Rutabaga are among my favorites.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        How about away canned beets?

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends where "away" is. If it's my aunt's house, sure. If it's the Del Monte plant, probably not.

I love Kale but only the variety with a silent K.

Comment

I always cringe when I see a chickpea.

Comment

I can't stand:
          1. pickled beets,
          2. sweet pickles,
          3. sweet taters,
          4. green olives,
          5. black olives
          Otherwise I love nearly all veggies.

Comment

What I find really interesting is the number of items posted here that aren't veggies at all, humorous responses like liver notwithstanding. 👀

Comment

Carrots, I don't carrot all for them.

Comment

BradNorthGA Hey Brad, you inspired me to start this mess, chime in with your most hated veggies!
                Last edited by Panhead John; July 2, 2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

I don’t really hate any of them, but there are some that I just don’t choose, for one reason or another. Eggplant is just too much of a PITA for what you get. I don’t choose rutabagas, turnips, or parsnips, either. But I would eat any of those if served them. They all taste okay. But since I’m cooking, I get choices. And why would I choose parsnips when I could have carrots?

Comment

I also think it's that many of us never really learned to cook things like parsnips in any interesting ways. For example, roasting and pureed, they make a nice bed for braised meats and a slightly sweeter, more interesting alternative to potatoes.

but I'm with you 100% on eggplants. Way too much work for the results.

Comment

Peas and Lima Beans! I’ll stomach just about anything else.

It did take me a long time to eat Red Beans after an unfortunate disagreement I had with a DI at boot camp regarding the state of the fullness of my stomach. I’ll never forget looking down at the pile the mess cook lumped on my tray. I think he thought he was doing my skinny little butt a favor but I ended up losing that disagreement and then lost again when I had to scuzz red beans off the deck about an hour later.

Comment

Canned peas
                        Candied Yams
                        Candied anything
                        Lima Beans

Making golden beets tonight. Need to get started because they do take forever to cook

Comment

• tamidw
                          tamidw commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I agree with you on the candied yams and other candied items. I’ll do sweet potatoes or yams savory, but not candied.

Any canned veggie is pretty bad compared to fresh.

Take for instance canned asparagus. Now that stuff is awful, but also one of my favorite veggies when prepared from fresh.

Comment

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ol Bonesy has a thing fer canned corn, yessir.

• Murdy
                          Murdy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'll mix a can of creamed with a can of regular -- ends up the right consistency, to my taste anyway.

• Old Glory
                          Old Glory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I like canned green beans. Always have since I was a kid. Frozen corn is pretty good.

Eating frozen veggies (think green giant or birds eye stuff) tastes like licking the side of an old freezer. And I am over kale. Too much from CSA this spring/summer.

1. Cooked carrots
                        2. Canned anything
                        3. Lentils (any of them)
                        4. Fennel
                        5. Okra

6. Ketchup
                        Last edited by SheilaAnn; June 28, 2021, 06:26 PM. Reason: Cuz I hate ketchup on pretty much anything (tater tots being an exception and even that’s a stretch)

Comment

• Panhead John
                          Panhead John commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Do you like fried okra? Is really good with the right batter. I like mine with lot of salt and…..a little ketchup on the side.
                          Last edited by Panhead John; June 24, 2021, 02:45 PM.

• SheilaAnn
                          SheilaAnn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Panhead John not really into fried okra. I need to amend my list to add ketchup as #6.

Spinach cooked to a mush
                        Canned peas
                        Okra
                        Artichokes
                        Pearl Onions

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here