Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go to seasoning but not salt or pepper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve been seasoning vegetables with herbes de provence a lot recently. I couldn’t tell you what’s in there, I looked it up once but it doesn’t really matter. We like the taste. Also, I’ve been using a lot of thyme, both fresh and dried. It’s probably in the herbes de provence.

I love the Flatiron 4 Pepper Blend, and also the Green and the Asian. As summer comes around I’ll get more into the other blends.

Melinda’s hot sauces: Ghost Pepper, Scorpion, and Naga Jolokia; go on almost everything. If it can take capsaicin, it gets peppered.

You said except for salt and pepper, but I do want to say something about that anyhow. My go to salt for the past couple years or so has been Himalayan pink, but I got some Maldon sea salt, and I love those big goofy flakes. I bought a salt cellar that I keep on the counter so that I can dip into it with my fingers; it makes me feel like I know what I’m doing! It isn’t as salty as Himalayan, Kosher, or table salts, which helps with oversalting.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Stacy and I both enjoy herbes de Provence quite a bit ..... especially for salads, chicken, tomato sauces, fish ....

Like grantgallagher , I use mushroom powder a lot. Most often, it's powdered (in my little Krups grinder) dried porcini ... and on those occasions when I'm looking for a little more flavor punch, it's powdered dried shiitake. I buy both in bulk (usually from Amazon) and grind as much as will fit in a couple of spice containers.

Comment

An Italian Seasoning Mix from my local Grocery Store called "Leonardo".

Comment

Lately, I have been loving Penzeys Mural of Flavor.

and plochmans is the best mustard! I have to mail order it.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for Plochmans!

• eby
          eby commented
          Editing a comment
          Has salt and pepper but when I don't want to make a decision Penzey's Northwoods for grilled meats and Fox Point on the veg is usually the go-to here.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          eby other Penzeys go-tos are Adobo Seasoning and Chicago Seasoning. Tried chili 3000 a long time ago, meh. And on the baking side, the double strength vanilla cannot be beat.

Secret ingredient for scrambled eggs, or an omelette, is tarragon.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Dagnabit... there I go again giving away my secret ingredients.

Meathead’s Memphis Dust.

Comment

After salt and pepper my two most used spices are unquestionably garlic (granulated or fresh, never powder) and paprika. I’m part Hungarian, so paprika goes on everything!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here