Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use for trimmings from spare rib rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use for trimmings from spare rib rack?

Hello all,

I've stuck to Baby Backs since joining this group. Today I'm trimming a full rack of spare ribs down to "St Louis" style, since that's all that was available at my local store.

What should I do with the skirt, tips, and bone that I cut off the rack? Smoke it and save it for beans? Freeze it and save for stock? Any suggestions are welcome!

I season them with rub and throw them into a crockpot or cook them the the St. Louis ribs.

Comment

If I am trimming a few racks I will clean them up and make sausage out of the trimmings

Comment

I season them and smoke with the ribs. I usually use a hotter rub on them. When I smoke ribs I am usually cooking for groups. That side meat picks right apart and is great in tacos/burritos/enchiladas.

Comment

Unless I'm short on grill estate, I season them just like the SLCs and cook them right then. I have even been known to cook up the boneless meaty parts unseasoned for my dogs (everybody wins!). Or, all of the above suggestions work as well.

Comment

I freeze them and then use the meat when grinding my own burger.

Comment

In Chicago, Rib Tips are a big thing. Many different places do them differently. My favorite is a place called Big Tony's. I sort of copy what they do. I smoke them right along side the spareribs. When the spareribs are done, usually the tips are still a little tough..So I chop them into smaller pieces, put them in a pot with some BBQ sauce, a little beer, maybe some onion too. I will braise them at a low simmer for maybe an hour or 2 longer. I remove the tips and if the liquid is thin, reduce until thickened, pour back over the tips...They become so tender they melt right off the cartilage but yet there is still flavorful bark on them...Oh Yeah

Comment

• Anton32828
                Anton32828 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! Saved for future reference!

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I freeze them and cut them up to make steamed "dim sum" spareribs on occasion.

I vote for beans! How I use them usually.

Comment

Beans.

Comment

Rib tips for the win .... love me some good rib tips. Just prep, rub, and smoke like you would ribs. Then wrap with a bit of apple juice, give them 25-30 minutes in the wrap. Pull from the wrap, brush with a bit of maple syrup, sizzle them over direct heat for a few minutes. And enjoy!

Comment

Thanks all! I had enough grill space for the rib tips on my Weber Smokey Mountain. I did not have enough room for the skirt-flap so I'll have to try that the next time and plan for the two-grate setup in advance. We'll see how this cook turns out ... I am a bit out of practice after a long winter.

Comment

Looks like I’m late to the discussion, but there are a couple things I do:

1) roast the trimmings and then make a rich pork broth (w/ onions, celery, parsnips, bay leaves, peppercorns) for soup or gumbo. The meat I use for the soup (white bean with collard greens) and/or dog food. My dog eats well since I feed him a little kibble with boiled meat.

2) roast the seasoned trimmings and then place them on top of seasoned sauerkraut (w/ caraway seeds & diced green apples) and continue roasting.

Comment

Soup, stew, chili, beans, greens is usually where alla mine end up, after smokin em...

Comment

I cook the skirt and tips next to the ribs. They get done pretty quickly, so I nibble on them during the rest of the cook.

i only got the racks with the breastbone once. I didn’t use it for beans, but I would have if I’d been making beans that day.

Comment

I usually do one, sometimes two racks at a time, so I don't usually have a lot of bits 'n pieces to deal with. We eat the sections of rib tips at the dinner table, same as ribs with bones.

A few racks have had a loose boneless flap of what I think are the muscles of the diaphragm (anatomy is not my strong suit). I trim this off and cook it for a couple of hours along with the racks. At that point, the meat is well flavored but still chewy. Sliced in thin strips across the grain with a little of @Huskee's shawsh on the side ... mmmm. Nice treat for the cook and anyone else who's standing by looking hungry.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                              Mr. Bones commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yup, me too! As far as I can tell, that flap was designed by Mother Nature as a Cook's Treat, to be enjoyed while waitin fer th ribs to git done...

• IowaGirl
                              IowaGirl commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm glad to see I'm not alone! Tasty stuff there....

• Mr. Bones
                              Mr. Bones commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes'm, 'tis indeed! Yum!!!

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here