Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried Meathead Bacon recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried Meathead Bacon recipe

Tried the bacon recipe. I didnt like the way the bacon fried up and the sugar seemed to burn on edges. Any advice ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1F0B8AA6-9328-4929-9D1F-AA23CD132614.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	622690
    Attached Files

I have eliminated most of the sugar in my bacon cures. If I want a sweet taste, I use maple syrup. If I fry the bacon, I do it slower than store bought. I typically, now, cook it on a rack/cookie sheet in the oven :-)

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. I havent fried bacon in a long time. Always do it on a rack in the oven now. Less mess and just better IMO

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm about to bake some bacon right now.

• DeathCassette
      DeathCassette commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't cooked bacon in a pan in years. You get an even cook and easy clean up doing it in the oven.

For example, here is my Maple-Whiskey bacon cure .... this assumes a standard size/shape hunk of belly that weighs 3 lbs

For 3lbs of trimmed pork belly

3.5 grams Prague Powder #1
    6 teaspoons kosher salt
    4 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic (or 1 tsp minced garlic)
    3/4 cup distilled water
    1/2 cup dark maple syrup
    2 tbsp whiskey .... rye, bourbon, single malt

Comment

• DanLacinski
      DanLacinski commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks ! I have a third piece that I cut down on brown sugar and added maple syrup. Did not try yet. I like your garlic add also.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      DanLacinski I used to add brown sugar and use less salt. I’ve since modified to what you see here. I like it a lot better.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna give this flavor profile a try next batch. Bourbon and bacon! Oh my!

Homemade bacon is not generally going to fry up crisp like factory made if that is what you were refering to. Factory bacon is processed to 124-126 degrees.

Comment

Did you rinse the cure off before smoking?

Comment

• DanLacinski
        DanLacinski commented
        Editing a comment
        yes. I put some in oven at 300 f and it didnt burn. I ran it to about 155 f on the smoker so it doesn’t really need cooked.

• DeathCassette
        DeathCassette commented
        Editing a comment
        Try it at 400 f. It normally cooks up crisp in about 8-10 minutes but I set a timer for 6 so I can keep an eye on it. Also so I can open the oven and fill the house with delicious bacon smells.

The texture is more ham like than store bought bacon. I cook at a lower temp and just until a bit of brown. It will never be solidly crispy and brown like store bought.

Comment

Cook the bacon at a lower temp in the skillet.

​​​​​​​I like to add a press to the bacon as it fries.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          yep, when I fry my bacon, definitely has to be lower temp and slower cooking than store bought stuff

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here