Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to try to tackle last meal ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try to tackle last meal ribs

Well, they were on sale. And I have this week off. Let's do this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2892.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	620709

So tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm going to do another practice run or two with the kettle. It has been very surprising to me just how few burning coals are needed for low temps. Also surprising, just how little I need the vents open. 1/2 on both gives me a consistent 270-275. Again, shooting for 225-250, of course. (Will use SNS with reservoir filled.)

Is three hours still the nominal time to try the bend test? What if my temps run hotting, 275-300? Should I check earlier?

--Michael
    Attached Files

Well, I'm not the most frequent cooker of loin back ribs, but I would recommend if you are doing Last Meal Ribs with Memphis Dust that you keep the temps below 275, so your sugars don't get too dark. I like mine tug-off-the-bone, so I would say a shade longer than 3 hours (4) at the 250 degree zone. Our frequent Loin Back smokers will chime in soon I'm sure.

Comment

I would agree with Paul. Keep your temps under 275 F and you will be fine. That rub does have a lot of sugar. It is great stuff though!

Comment

Under 275 it is! And indeed, that rub is mostly sugar.

What is this toothpick test I keep hearing about? I see references to it....and people saying they use it....but how do we go about this?

--Michael

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          If a toothpick pokes into the meat between the ribs like a warm knife through butter, then you’re good to go !!

Also, given my recent experience with pork tenderloins (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-on-the-grill), I went out and bought some apple wood. This time, I am only going to use one chunk. I will be interesting to see how I judge the amount of smoke flavor. With two chunks of hickory with the pork tenderloins, it was just too much.

So a question....when do I add the chunk?

Do I add it when I put the ribs on? Or wait a bit? I have seen some pages/sites that suggest that the initial "white smoke" is too overpowering and that I should wait until I see "blue smoke." Based on my last experiments (with hickory), the white smoke only abates after the chunk is charred and nearly an ember. Doesn't that negate the effect of the smoke?

--Michael

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          What type of smoker are you using?

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Standard Weber 22" Kettle.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd put it on while the grill is coming up to temp.

I'm really enjoying your posts/journey Michael! Keep on somkin' my brother!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          This is so much fun. I never thought I'd be able to do any of this! Meathead almost glosses over this in his book, but doing dry runs is so important.

You got this. Ribs done low and slow are great. I would put your wood chunk just at the edge of the lit coals as the meat picks up most of its smoke while still cold.

Comment

Definitely do not rely on the bend test for extra meaty ribs. They will most likely be over done by the time they crack. Go by the toothpick or probe check. I also like to see about 1/4-1/2" of the bones poking out to know they are done.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Was going to say that baby backs might never crack. Toothpick, probe or pull back for BBRs. Spare Ribs will crack consistently.

I was excited to reply because I actually know this subject, but then the best in the land already have. +1 what they all said.

Comment

i agree with Rod. the bend test never seems to work with loinback ribs. toothbick test is a much better indicator of doneness

Comment

Just remember to check this ......

Click image for larger version

Name:	toothpick on ribs.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	620844

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                And remember, ya have ta where a blue glove. 🕶

• ClayJones
                ClayJones commented
                Editing a comment
                Dammit! I knew I was doing something wrong! Stupid black and tan gloves...

Ok, I've cooked those exact type of ribs hundreds of times.

You cannot use the bend test on the extra meaty loin back ribs. It just won't crack like thinner slabs of ribs will. I pretty much ALWAYS have to cook them for 5 to 6 hours at 225-275 temps, and this is one of the few items I cook to time more than to temp. You can tell they are getting done when you see the bones starting to stick out of the end of the meat, and they are probe tender in between bones as well, as Troutman advises above. I sauce them for the last 30 minutes or so, if saucing. Sometimes I leave that as something on the side at the table.

Your cooking time WILL vary depending on temp. 5-6 at 225, maybe 4-5 at 250 or 275.

Comment

Like above, I recommend a temp around 250F on back ribs. Depending on how much meat is on them, done will be 4-5 hours. Costco back ribs typically run about 5 hours, they are so meaty. The ones I get at Safeway or QFC are more like 4 hours and change, and I start checking at the 4 hour mark. I'd recommend starting to check even a bit earlier (3.5 hours) just in case.

As far as smoke, I don't wait until the white smoke is completely gone before I put my meat on the smoker. But I do wait until it's not billowing. I find a good sized chunk of wood buried into my burning briquettes (I cook on a Hasty-Bake and a WSM 22) gets to "good smoke" somewhere about 10 minutes after putting briquettes on top of the wood chunk.
                Last edited by ecowper; January 9, 2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That matches my experience using a LBGE for the cook.

Lots of good answers here ... however, my "toothpick" was made by ThermoWorks (it's a thermapen). I probe in several places and regardless of how it feels, if I find any place in the rib rack that isn't above 190 F, it's just not done. Collagen and connective tissue doesn't fully render below 190. Only when the rack is probe tender and it's above 190 F everywhere I probe it can be declared done.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your help! I had no idea that baby backs were so different! I'll plan on a 5-6 hour cook. I also have a Thermopop, which has a nice narrow probe.

The reason I picked up baby backs is, well, the only ribs I've ever had are those are Chili's and they are baby backs. (Although they most certainly pre-cook/braise/boil them before slapping them on the grill to finish.)

--Michael

Comment

• Rod
                    Rod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If the only BBs you've had are Chili's, then you are about to have an out of body experience with the ones you'll make. Seriously, don't plan on doing much after you eat them.

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, you are going to love those. Especially if Chili's is your benchmark!

• PappyBBQ
                    PappyBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seriously. These guys speak the truth. I might hit top rated BBQ joints in Memphis or Texas or some such, but never anywhere else. It's like shock and awe.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here