Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coleslaw for Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try using your favorite vinegar-based mop sauce for slaw dressing for pulled pork, but use a slightly different one than what you used on the meat. Finely chopped jalapenos or pepper flakes would be good if your guests like a little heat. This could make for some great flavor profiles. Just came up with this idea while reading this thread.

Comment

This is from Michael Symon’s book "Carnivore" and is my favorite coleslaw recipe ever.

COLESLAW
      • 1/2 head Napa Cabbage (shredded)
      • 1/2 Garlic Clove (minced)
      • 1 Cup thinly sliced Red Onion
      • 1/2 Jalapeno (seeds and ribs removed/minced)
      • 3 Tablespoons Champagne Vinegar
      • 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
      • 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
      • 1 Tablespoon Spicy Mustard
      • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
      • 1 Tablespoon Sugar
      • 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
      • 1/2 bunch Cilantro (chopped) - I don’t do this
      I shred/Julienne the cabbage finely and then add the thinly sliced red onion and toss them together. I then mix the dressing. Toss together and refrigerate. He recommends toss and then refrigerate for an hour. I usually toss about 30 minutes before. Outstanding.

Comment

I always throw in a bit of Blue Cheese. Blue Cheese Cole Slaw and Pulled Pork is a wondrous thing....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea!

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          you stole my"secret"!

• bardsleyque
          bardsleyque commented
          Editing a comment
          also a bit of horseradish,I use Cheryl and Bill Jamison"s dressing recipe(Smoke and Spice)

it be yumm

Comment

These are my two favorites:

6 c shredded cabbage or use 1 bag prepared coleslaw mix
          1 c Miracle Whip or other mayonnaise
          2 Tbsp vinegar
          2 tsp sugar
          1 tsp curry powder

OR

2 to 2 1/2 lb green cabbage
          1/3 c olive oil
          1/3 c Dijon mustard
          1/3 c honey
          Kosher salt
          Black pepper

Comment

For pulled pork I lightly dress the shredded pork with a homemade KC sauce. I use a creamy slaw (recipe below) and hit the pork with some homemade hot sauce. That combination is always a hit.

1 1/2 C Miracle Whip
            1/2 C white vinegar
            1 TB celery seed
            1/3 C white sugar
            Salt and cracked pepper to taste
            1 head shredded cabbage
            2 shredded carrots

Comment

I prefer vinegar based slaw with no mayo for pulled pork. Lately I am lazy, and I just toss bags of that preshredded cabbage slaw mix with some Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce - just enough to wet the cabbage. Alternatively, I mix up a North Carolina style vinegar sauce like this:

This recipe for Vinegar Sauce goes great with Smoked Suckling Pig and Vinegar Slaw. Recipe from Episode 212 of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke.

or this:

If American barbecue sauces had an extreme division, this mouth-puckering North Carolina sauce—all vinegar and fire—would lead the pack.

I then toss the slaw in some of that, and use the rest on the side with the pork.

Comment

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                I, too, have gotten to where I prefer a straight up vinegar sauce on pulled pork or as a dressing for slaw on pulled pork. Agree with Meathead, the vinegar cuts the fat and brings out the pork flavor!

Wow. Thanks for all the comments. I was expecting folks to trend towards a certain type of slaw. But it seems everyone finds a recipe they like and tweak it to their taste. That's just like the best BBQ - that which you and your family like. I really appreciate all the inputs and they have given me ideas for a starting point. Since my wife likes a sweeter sauce but isn't big on the slaw on the sandwich, I think I will lean towards something a little tangy as a starting point. Thanks again, you saved me a lot of research -- Pit Members are the best!!!!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Be sure to try it on your sandwich, then!

I'm not opposed to "slaw" but much prefer chow-chow, which is pretty much the same thing. i get lazy sometimes and just buy store bought stuff, but have made Chris Lilly's recipe from his first book numerous times and it goes great with BBQ, veggies and cornbread! I generally don't need as much as that recipe calls for, but do can it and give to folks. The one thing I do different is I add minced jalapenos and cut back on the sugar.

Comment

I've been known to put home-fermented sauerkraut on pulled pork. It's milder than store bought with a nice crunch.

Comment

• gabulldog
                  gabulldog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got some German in ya!

Here's my recipe for coleslaw:

A coleslaw is easy to throw together, but it is also one of the best things you can do with cabbage. Mix the ingredients, let it sit in the fridge for two hours, and serve. Easy!

I use crushed pineapple for a little fresh citrus flavor, and some grated horseradish for a mild bite. I've served it to several crowds on events and get good reviews. But then again, there are many good ways to make a 'slaw

Comment

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I make a Don Strange coleslaw which also uses pineapple. Use it as a side for brisket and ribs but have never put it on a sandwich. Adding the horseradish is something I will have to try.

Thanks all for the links and recipes. I just happen to have a nice head of cabbage in fridge. I copied six of these recipes into my One-Note.

Comment

Im a big fan of red cabbage and green apple based slaw. This is my go to except i sometimes omit the yogurt but when i dont its full fat greek yogurt

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...d-cabbage-slaw

if i use the yogurt i typically omit the oil. And never use grapeseed or canola if i can avoid it and replace with avocado oil.

Comment

I made some of that Alabama white BBQ sauce last night. After I had my first taste, my first thought was that this might be really well on slaw. Vinegary and tangy on a layer of horseradish.

--Michael

Comment

• gabulldog
                      gabulldog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed, makes GREAT sale dressing!

For mine I use green and red cabbage, celery (some of the leaves also), apple, pepper, mango,apple vinegar, a little onion, carrot, spring onion. Grill corn cob until the kernels blacken a bit and add that. Maybe a little mayo for lube. You can de tune the onion by soaking it in sugared water for an hour.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice. Need to think about that a bit then try it.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here