Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coleslaw for Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coleslaw for Pulled Pork

For those of you who like coleslaw on their pulled pork sandwich, what is your go to recipe?

Shot of sweet pickle juice, add mayo, shredded cabbage, salt and pepper. Just enough "juice" to moisten the cabbage.

Here lately I've really enjoyed the packaged Asian Slaw Mix and Broccoli Slaw too.

Comment

Meathead's Sweet and Sour Coleslaw is what most of my friends and family appear to prefer

Looking to step up your coleslaw game? Here is a simple recipe that is sure to impress your guests. In the South there are two kinds of slaw: Sweet-sour and creamy. Sweet-sour is vinegar and sugar based. Creamy is mayo or sour cream or buttermilk based (or a blend of them). This sweet-sour recipe is super easy to make.

I've been known to make coleslaw by chopping cabbage, carrots, bell peppers and then using Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing :-)

If it is not on a pulled pork sandwich, my boys like Alton Brown's creamy coleslaw

Comment

I'm partial to a vinegary slaws in general but specifically for pulled pork, I almost always make a mustard slaw. Recipe is below but its equal parts mayo, yellow mustard, cider vinegar and sugar plus hot sauce and celery seeds. And I don't always do the presalt and then drain/rinse step.

Comment

• gabulldog
          gabulldog commented
          Editing a comment
          J. Kenji rocks!

This is my base Coleslaw recipe - pretty sure I got it from AmazingRibs :-) Currently modifying it with a bit less sugar and a bit more cabbage.
        1 lb of shredded cabbage
        1/2 Cup mayo
        1 tbsp white vinegar
        1 tbsp sugar
        Salt and pepper to taste

Comment

• gabulldog
          gabulldog commented
          Editing a comment
          I call this your classic "Chick-fil-A" dressing. Always a crowd pleaser!

I enjoy the Deli Slaw both with PP or as a side. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...cream-and-mayo

Comment

Smoked Coleslaw

By Steven Raichlen

Grilling recipes and barbecue recipes from Steven Raichlen and the Barbecue Bible. Find inspiration for the grill from our collection of recipes.

Comment

I made pulled pork last weekend, and was tired of the usual sweet-sour coleslaw -- but my wife isn't a fan of creamy coleslaws.

I made a fennel-orange-red onion coleslaw that the guests reported liking (though they were related to us so I'm always a little skeptical about how unbiased their opinions may be); in any event, I liked it.

1 small head of cabbage
            1 medium bulb of fresh fennel
            1 medium red onion
            2 large navel oranges
            olive oil
            apple cider vinegar
            soy sauce
            brown sugar
            ground black pepper

Thinly slice the cabbage, then place in a large bowl, salt liberally, and allow to "sweat" for an hour or more. Then rinse, and refresh in ice water for 15 or 20 minutes, drain, and spin dry.

Meanwhile, thinly slice fennel bulb, red onion, and roughly chop peeled navel oranges.

Make vinaigrette with oil, vinegar, and soy sauce in ratio of 1:1:2. Depending on how sweet the oranges are, correct with some brown sugar. Add black pepper to taste.

Mix everything. If possible, allow to sit for 15 or 20 minutes.

Comment

If you're looking for a central Texas twist that's far less sweet with a real peppery bite, Aaron Franklin's slaw recipe from his book is one of my favs. Sorry I don't have a link but it's worth a Google....

Comment

• jlazar
                jlazar commented
                Editing a comment
                I have his book, Thanks.

• Santamarina
                Santamarina commented
                Editing a comment
                Disclaimer: I *love* pepper, and am a heavy user.

I made Franklins slaw recipe and it was WAY too peppery for me...no one else in my house would even touch it.

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                It's is VERY peppery and quite tart. Gotta be a fan of both!

This is suppose to be a Colonel's clone and it's the closest to his that we have found. http://www.deansmiley.com/Recipes/Cole%20Slaw.txt

Comment

I’m a red slaw guy; was raised on it and nothing else can substitute it. I found a recipe from Shug on YouTube that is the closest to red slaw as I remember: https://youtu.be/BMu8vPFS8To. Recipe is in the description - made some for the butt I inaugurated the new PBC with and it made many delicious sandwiches.

Comment

• Jon McCue
                  Jon McCue commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bobby flay red slaw - has no mayo in it which is fine with greasy pork

This is my goto - similar to a lot of the other vinegar-based ones above.

Mary Lee's, "I Fought the Slaw and The Slaw Won"
                These are from the Jack Daniel's old time Barbecue cookbook by Vince Staten. (with an Elder Ward twist)
                • 3 LBS. cabbage
                • 3 ribs of celery
                • 1 onion (yellow)
                • 1 bell pepper
                • 3 carrots
                • 2 C sugar (Hawaiian when you can get it.)
                Shred, chop or dice all and mix with sugar. Set cabbage mixture aside.
                • 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
                • 1/2 Cup of Apple Cider vinegar
                • 1/2 C olive oil (my twist)
                • 1 tsp celery seed
                • 1 tsp (kosher salt)
                Bring all to a boil and pour over cabbage mixture and chill overnight.

Comment

I love this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...aw-recipe.html. Very simple recipe and has some great flavor. Goes great with pulled pork or brisket.

Comment

I use Meathead's Deli-Style Slaw. I love it on my sandwich. I make sure the cabbage is as fresh as possible so that you get that wonderful crunch when you bite into the sandwich.

Comment

Not slaw but if you want a vinegary / tangy topping I like pickled shallots or pickled red onions on pulled pork...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here