Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple Bacon Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple Bacon Prep

Planning to start the cure for the maple bacon recipe tomorrow. I have a 6 pound pork belly, so do I just double the ingredients or are there ratios that I need to maintain? Thanks!

As a general rule, that is the scaling method I use. But use Prof. Blonder's Wet Curing calculator, to double check the pink salt amount and the curing time. Another thought is to make sure that your belly will fit on your grill. I usually will cut a 6 lb'er into 2 pieces. Its easier to handle, arrange on my grate and slice afterwards. Have fun and enjoy.

Comment

As coupster mentions, use the curing calculator. Regardless of whether you cut the belly into two 3lbers, keep it whole, or six 1lbers, it's the thickness (thickest point) & shape (flat) that matter most. Use the amount of liquid stated in the actual recipe & enter that into the calculator, and you're good!

Comment

Here's a link to the curing calculator https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ely#calculator

Comment

I just used the maple recipe. I'm working my way through all three. Looking forward to the Asian bacon.

Comment

I recommend breaking the belly into 2x 3lb slabs. Mostly because it is easier to manage while curing, smoking and slicing. Also, consider adding a tablespoon or two of rye whiskey to that maple bacon cure :-)

Comment

• jghorton
              jghorton commented
              Editing a comment
              Great idea!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              jghorton the peppery undertones of the rye contrasts nicely with the maple and the salt in the recipe :-)

Originally posted by jghorton View Post
            Planning to start the cure for the maple bacon recipe tomorrow. I have a 6 pound pork belly, so do I just double the ingredients or are there ratios that I need to maintain? Thanks!
            I would cut it into two three pound pieces and follow the instructions according. TIP: When you are done brining, sit the belly on a rack in the refrigerator for 24 hours before smoking. This will create the pellicle, which most people are expecting on bacon. I have done it without, before I knew about it, and I will never process home made bacon without the 24 hour drying step. A pellicle is a skin or coating of proteins on the surface of meat, fish or poultry, which allow smoke to better adhere to the surface of the meat during the smoking process.

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

The pork belly is on to cure. Took a 12+ lbs belly and quartered it up. 6 lbs total in the regular recipe and 6 lbs total in the maple recipe. Looking forward to the results. I am planning to smoke the regular with cherry and the maple with apple. ecowper I fully intend to take up your suggestion of a little rye to future cures. I didn't go for it this round because I wasn't going to leave the house in the middle of the wintry mix we had yesterday. :-) Thanks all for your help.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  looking forward to the outcome

How did this come out?

Comment

• jghorton
                  jghorton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is still curing as it was still a bit flimsy, but I will take it out tonight for 24 hours in the fridge. Plan to smoke it on Tuesday evening. I'll definitely let you know!

Well I believe all of the pork belly - now bacon - came out well. I smoked it on my electric smoker with cherry. They all took much longer than a few hours to hit 150* internal, but I also started at a lower temp than 225*. It smelled great coming off the smoker. I had the end pieces, which were good though some of them were a little over the top. The maple bacon recipe is far superior to the regular recipe! I vacuum sealed it all in just over 1 lb chunks and will be giving it as Christmas gifts; that is, except for one of them, of course! :-)
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here