Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Amazing Pork Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Amazing Pork Rib

Well obviously if we could pick a mascot for this website it would be the amazing pork rib. So tender and delicious, relatively easy to prepare, it's certainly a candidate for being one of the most favorite cuts of meat in our diets. Now I don't want to get into the various ways of cooking them; be it the 3-2-1 method, or hanging them in a drum, or whether to wrap in foil or not, etc. but I simply want to embrace the finished product as at once humble and at the same time universally appealing. However you cook and enjoy them is certainly a matter of personal taste.

I simply do mine on a pellet cooker, start with the smoke setting using apple or a fruit wood blend of pellets, after an hour of smoking I crank the cooker to the 250* mark and let them go for 3 more hours and they come out looking like this with their deep mahogany color so indicative of pellet smoking....

Click image for larger version

Name:	prib01.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	584763

Name:	prib02.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	584764
    Since we prefer ours "bite through" I have gotten away from wrapping them in foil. I've found that too many times the ribs got over cooked with the bones simply falling apart. Again your preference, but that's mine. Instead I wrap in pink butcher paper for an additional hour to get the tenderness.

Now again, your preference, I don't slather them up with Parkay or butter or brown sugar in the wrap. We prefer to have the meat shine through without all the masking. I do; however, like a sweet note at the end so I take something like Blues Hog and do a 20-25 minute open glaze after the one hour wrap. For that I like to crank the heat up in the cooker. So total cook time for this method is 5 hours and 20 minutes. It's one of the few proteins that I cook that I don't bother to check the internal temp, they come out just right every time if I stick to the recipe...

Was also in the mood to have some big portabello mushrooms and German potato salad with my ribs. For the potato salad..

Troutman German Potato Salad

5-6 large Yukon Gold or white potatoes, skin on
    6-8 pieces of bacon cut into lardons
    1 whole onion finely chopped
    1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (white vinegar works as well)
    2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 tablespoons of sugar
    1-2 tablespoons of Dijon or coarse grain mustard
    1/3 cup of sour cream
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2-3 chopped scallions for garnish
    1 small bunch of minced chives

Name:	prib03.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	584765Click image for larger version

Name:	prib04.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	584766

Begin by boiling the potatoes whole, skin on, in salted water until they are pierce tender with a paring knife.

Cook the bacon until fat is rendered and bacon crispy. Place the cooked bacon bits on a plate with paper towels to drain. Remove most of the bacon fat but reserve about 2-3 tablespoons to saute your onions in. After the onions are cooked to transparency, add your wet ingredients to make a vinaigrette dressing. Start with the vinegar, the sugar and the mustard, whisking them with the onions until incorporated. Then slowly whisk in the olive oil and simmer until fully incorporated.

Next cut the potatoes either into slices or cubes, but keep them rustic. Be sure the potatoes are still hot, otherwise they won't absorb the dressing. Place in a large bowl, add the dressing, the sour cream, salt and your bacon bits. Fold together to combine. Finish off by adding the chives and garnish with your green onions. Serve warm. It's a tangy but delicious departure from conventional potato salad.

The mushroom were simply marinaded in a combination of extra virgin, cold pressed oil oil, some aged balsamic vinegar and freshly minced garlic. They were roasted on the smoker for about 20 minutes until soft....

Name:	prib05.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	584767

Name:	prib06.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	584768

Name:	prib07.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	584769

Amazing ribs....tender....juicy....delicious !! Ya'll take care my friends and go cook you some amazing pork ribs !!! Troutman Steve is about ready to get his face all greasy....later !!!!

Name:	prib08.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	584770

Thanks for the potato salad recipe. I love potato salad but almost always make is the same way which includes mayo and eggs that are not in your recipe. I will definitely try this. By the way, your ribs look awesome as well.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Be prepared for the pucker factor on the salad, the vinegar really shines through !!!

DAAAAAANG!

I’m with you on letting the meat be the star. I don’t do the extras if I wrap like you were saying. Also plus one on the Blues Hog...

I’m not a shroom person but it looks like something my wife may like.

Oh and thank you for not using some of the usual suspects in your tater salad.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea Blues Hog is my go to finish on ribs !!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha. I like yours too.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that movie

Absolutely awesome!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you !!!

Sure look like perfect ribs!

I agree "ribs" seem to be the stereotypical BBQ mascot. Maybe tied for 2nd is brisket & pulled pork, at least for the stereotypical.

Off topic but in the spirit of conversation, my personal favorite order of the classics is brisket, beef ribs (short or back don't care), chuck, chicken, ribs, pulled pork.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure sounds like our next survey posting

Great post, Brother!
    Fantastic lookin ribs, too...(yummy)
    I have to watch from th sidelines, stuck at work today
    (Stoopid basketball games!)

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the compliment Brother Bones !!!

Beautiful ribs. I haven't done any in awhile, got carried away doing butts for others and new stuff from this site. Need to get back to basics. Thanks for the potato salad recipe, like jgreen mine is the usual southern style with mayo and mustard. Another recipe to try. Mr. Bones i am stuck at work too. Guess i should do some work since I'm here.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I jus got home bout 1700, Brother...

I hope yer done as well, fer today!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Ribs are so much easier than doing butts, plus you don't have to deal with tons of meat, ribs always disappear quickly in my house.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Got home about the same time Mr. Bones. Troutman you are right, there are never any left over ribs. Maybe this weekend.

Steve. Although not much of any smoke ring. Your ribs look incredible.
    Don’t have a pellet grill, Yet, 😳. Â¥*<~]€* MCS
    And I, being from German heritage, really like your potato salad recipe.
    Nicely done my friend.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ¡Sehr kühl, Bruder!

My G parents were German / Welsh on Mom's side, Scot / Irish on Da's

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes I get great smoke ring out of the pellet and sometimes not. I went a little hotter so the air flow pushed the combustion gasses away from the meat more efficiently, I guess. At any rate smoke ring is a misnomer and really doesn't affect taste one way or the other. Kind of a "drive for show, putt for dough" situation.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Yup. I agree.

WoW! What a post. Terrific pics and such details. I was going to flag it because i thought that is how I could keep track of it. Found out that flag is to report spam, so don't want to do that. So, I just cut and pasted it into my OneNote (and the link came with it).

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You can hit the + Follow button at the top of any post to follow and save it to your profile page.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always hit the +Follow button at the top of any post and have that post saved to you profile page.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman; I'll try that!

Mmmmmmmmmm, ribs

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      you bet

You sir put together an incredible meal! Beautiful ribs, German potato salad, and mushrooms, man that sounds great. An old friends wife was of German heritage. She introduced me to German potato salad, it was love at first bite. Not long after she gave me my first bierocks, love those too.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the compliment. I actually was introduced to German potato salad by my Danish grandmother.

WIBS! How many times do we have to discuss this, it’s Wibs & I don’t want to tew you again. 😎

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      HaHaHa How are things going with you? You and the Misses are in my thoughts.

Awesome write up Troutman, thanks for sharing! I am doing ribs today, and am giving the 3-2-1 method a first go for the first time. I'm also doing a chuckie so this is my first attempt at two meat types at the same time. I love pork ribs, but my wife isn't a big fan of them, so today's foray should keep us both happily eating for a couple of days.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us see the results, that's a lot of cookin'

Ok, I just cut and pasted your potato salad recipe into Notepad for a future cook! Looks great, and I am all about ribs. I gotta get some this week. I had a deep freeze of baby backs for a long time, and sadly they are long gone.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks JF, be ready for a pucker on that potato salad, the vinegar really comes through.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here