Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Pig Breeds for Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Pig Breeds for Bacon

I have been making Bacon for a number of years and have always used Pork Belly's from Costco. I've have always been satisfied with the result but have started to wonder about other pig breeds. I've read that Tamworth, Berkshire, Large Black and Red waddle were ones to consider.

My question to you is what Pig Breeds do you consider the best to make Bacon from. Any other comments about different cuts from the breed would also be appreciated.

I like Mangalitsa and Gloucester Old Spot breeds. They can often have quite a high fat to meat ratio compared to some other breeds which is not necessarily to everyone’s taste, however I like them. I can post a picture of some Mangalitsa bacon I’ve had in England if that’s of interest to you, just let me know 👍

Comment

Rattle_snake

I would enjoy seeing your photos. Thank you for posting.

Comment

I have used a Kurobuta pork belly (Berkshire) once before and it was excellent. But haven't had the chance to use any other breeds. Mostly just Costco bellies.

Comment

We've done Tamworths a couple of years. No complaints, and plenty of belly because of the way they're built. Probably no complaints about the others listed above either!

Comment

No problem. I didn’t cure this myself but it gives an idea of Mangalitsa bacon. Happy bacon making!
            Attached Files

Comment

I've used supermarket pork and Large Black in the past, but now primarily use Berkshire. Since I'm always tinkering with the seasonings I've never had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of one breed vs. another. The supermarket pork and Berkshire both work great, but I have been unimpressed with the Large Black. However, my Large Black producer raises their pigs entirely on a pasture so the differences may be due to a grass fed vs. grain fed diet rather than a difference in breed.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Let them eat acorns and chestnuts! ;-)

ie woods foraging.

• Pastrami Joe
                Pastrami Joe commented
                Editing a comment
                Bellota ham comes from Spain at the border with Portugal. The pigs just eat acorns.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Pastrami Joe is spot on. Bellota is the Spanish word for acorn.

I find Mangalitsa to have the wrong ratio of fat to protein for my taste. They are very fatty pigs, particularly in the belly.

Tamworth is the "bacon pig." Delicious fat, and slightly beyond the 50/50 protein/fat ratio. And wonderfully flavored protein, at that.

Learn about the breeds we sell Breed statistics courtesy of the Livestock Conservancy Pork Red Wattle Threatened: Fewer than 1,000 annual registrations in the United States  Origin: 18th Century Louisiana by way of New Caledonia Flavor Profile: Described as a cross between pork and beef, Red Wattle is floral and robust

Flavor Profile: A premiere bacon producer, Tamworth meat is fruity, earthy, clean, mineral, root, sweet & tender.
              cross Tamworth and Berkshire/kurobuta, and you have a special special bacon.

Comment

I really appreciate all the comments. I have one source for Heritage pigs in the Portland Or area. I think I need to see who raises them for a source. Please keep the comments coming.

Comment

I’m a big fan of the Kirkland breed ..... only found at Costco ;-)

Comment

• Pastrami Joe
                    Pastrami Joe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear they're free range!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here