Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to smoking bacon (fire ban in area)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to smoking bacon (fire ban in area)

Howdy, I'm trying to determine what to do with 3lbs of expensive heritage pork belly that's now been curing in my refer for about 10 days. I'm following Meathead's basic bacon recipe.

If you've been following the news, the Seattle area has had unhealthy air quality do to wildfire activity for a while now. I can't run my smoker without pissing off the neighbors and attracting attention I don't really want.

Any ideas? How long can it sit in the brine? Should I just stick it in the oven at 225?

Yep. Let her rip as low as your oven will hold consistently.

Comment

It will still be mighty fine tasting .... just no smoke .... but the air quality burn ban is over now and the air is nice and clear.

Comment

Like Homey, I would throw it in the oven. You might be able to add some liquid smoke to add some smokiness. The molasses in the dark brown sugar will give a hint of a smokey flavor too.

Do not leave it in the brine longer than it tells you too on the calculator.

Comment

I've done oven bacon fer a few decades, sheet pan, parchment paper (optional), put it in when I git up, go take my shower, etc., while it cooks, an my Corningware percolator chugs away, makin me some BAC...*
          So much less bother than stovetop.
          Is yer burn ban lifted now?
          In a fit of desperation, I might mist it with a dilution of liquid smoke, were I to find myself in that predicament...
          Then some lovin in th oven.

*Black-Arsed Coffee*

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here