Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with fresh side of pork (besides bacon)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with fresh side of pork (besides bacon)?

Hi all,
    The fridge went out this week and the meat is defrosting. I have a 3.2 lb fresh side of pork that I was planning for bacon, but those hopes are now dashed as I can't cure it for 3 days in the fridge.

I'm thinking about smoking the fresh side with a Memphis Dust rub, then I guess slicing it up?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Chuck

burnt ends....

Comment

Harry Soo’s pig candy. Recipe on his website slapyodaddybbq.com . Good stuff !!

Comment

That sounds great! Thanks for the suggestion xaugievike! I think I'll riff on this recipe:
        This rich and flavor packed tested recipe for our smoked pork belly version of the classic Vietnamese banh mì sandwich is sure to make your knees buckle. The recipe hits all the right notes for a perfect banh mì, including succulent BBQ pork belly burnt ends, spicy jalapeños, savory mayo, and tangy pickled veggies.

Chuck

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had an eye on that recipe for a while now!

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          you'll love it - post pictures when you're done - and welcome to the Pit.

Here's another recipe for consideration. Extremely easy and very good.

Pork Belly Burnt Ends Recipe - Pork belly smoked, then cooked with butter and brown sugar until tender. Finished with a Sweet Glaze.

Comment

Red-cooked pork.

Comment

Burnt ends. I've also done pulled pork from pork belly before. Its very juicy and tender but you will want a vinegar based sauce to cut the fat

Comment

OK, I'm assuming we're talking belly here. Siu Yuk for me.

This woman knows her stuff: http://ladyandpups.com/2014/08/17/ca...st-pork-belly/

Hopefully that's a skin-on piece of belly - otherwise bets are off for this one.

Comment

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                I love that stuff. I also love red-cooked pork belly. It's a hard decision.

If you are talking pork belly, I would make Porchetta! Matty Matheson's Porchetta is amazing. And I love his style!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Chuck.

Comment

Howdy all,
                  Thanks for the great suggestions and welcome, I missed some of the later recommendations, I can't wait to try them!

I made the Bahn Mi recipe from this website. A few photos below.

I made an unjustified assumption that it would be forgiving of time and temp like a butt. But it wasn't. What did me in was leaving it covered in the roasting pan a little too long (no, probably a lot too long). Some of the meat got dry, but as long as you get a piece of fat with it, it works out just fine.

My wife has celiac, so no buns here. We've got cukes and squash coming out the yingyang, so we served it with an asian-inspired cuke salad and grilled squash, onions, peppers.

Thanks, and looking forward to posting more often!
                  Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_131135.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	555712Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_175345.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	555711Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_195354.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	555713
                  Attached Files

Comment

Man, that plate looks awesome ..... great idea .... I guess next time I buy a belly, I’ll use some of it for Banh Mi pork belly instead of bacon. Probably be a great appetizer at a BBQ

Comment

Great idea. Slice up a cuke, slice a piece of pork on top, top it with the pickles. Yum. I'm not usually a big fan of brown spices, but the Five Spice Powder is great.

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here