Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing some bacon soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    I like to use a large Cambro container that I use to make pastrami. It works great. No leaks!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I don't have a slicer, but found the purchase of a high quality 12" slicing knife was a MUST to slicing up stuff like bacon and brisket properly. I've got this one:

• Xandera_7
    commented on 's reply
    Where do you buy the maple sugar? Sounds awesome!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Xandera_7 I am not sure how well the food saver will work with the bacon recipes here. They are pretty wet, and rely on the moisture moving around the meat, as you flip it every day. I've got a Foodsaver, but do not think I would use it for the bacon curing stage, just for packing it for the freezer after its smoked and sliced.

• nsbbqguy
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	600532DD-8D79-468D-8EC0-A9D848C049AE.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	533793 Nice ! Finally going the bacon route! You’ll be hooked like I am. If you like maple bacon use maple sugar in place of the sugar. ( I haven’t looked at meatheads recipe so don’t know the quantities that he calls for) But usually I substitute maple sugar for brown sugar( if it calls for a dry cure) Sometimes glaze it when smoking as well. You can’t go wrong with making you own bacon. I’ve made a ton and prefer it to store bought. Only thing I don’t like is the slicer I have only does half a belly. So can’t do whole slices. Invest in a commercial slicer if your going to do it a lots. Makes for a long time slicing belly with a knife!!!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Oh baby!

• scottranda
    replied
    You’ll never go back! You’re forewarned!

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, and I like to throw some Meat Church's Honey Hog or Honey Pecan Rub on the bacon right before smoking. It gives me more texture and a boost of flavor that takes it over the top, my friends. Rod JakeT Frozen Smoke Xandera_7

• xaugievike
    replied
    Got about 9 lbs into the cure today (various flavors) - such good stuff.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Probably 1 1/2" to 2" Rod

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker How thick is that?

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Black Cherry. JakeT

• CaptainMike
    replied
    For the first batch or two follow the recipe explicitly, but think about what flavor profiles you want down the line. I like mine a little less sweet and punch it up with garlic, onion, and chipotle powders. I also use hickory or mesquite for a smokier flavor.

Leave a comment:

• JakeT
    commented on 's reply
    What kind of wood did you use on that puppy?

• Rod
    replied
    I just did this for the first time. Smoked it Sunday and we fried some up last nite. Followed Meathead's method with his simple recipe. Unbelievable and super easy. The only problem is slicing it by hand as I don't have a slicer.

Name:	IMG_20180715_202904.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	533718

Name:	IMG_20180716_205515.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	533719

Name:	IMG_20180716_210327.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	533720

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here