Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Advice please

Hello all. I made this 5.5 pound pork belly (skin off and with a rack of 5-6 ribs attached) on my pellet smoker. I used Meat Mitch pork rub and threw it on cold at 225 x 8 hours, spraying apple juice through the cook. When it hit 170F, I wrapped it in foil with a little apple juice. Two hours later, it passed 200 but with inconsistent temps (one area was 201, another was 207 etc..). I brushed sauce at the end and smoked it for 20 more minutes until the sauce set.

It was great but but didn’t pull and was a bit dry. I’m thinking part of the issue was having that rack attached.

Any my other advice?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

looks like you done everything correctly. Did you use a water pan in the smoker?

Comment

Forgot to mention that. Yes I did.

Comment

Two things jump out at me

1. The rack of ribs attached means you are mingling two different cooks
        2. Dry often means over cooked

Comment

Typically with ribs, dry and not pulling is under cooked. Tough ribs are dry ribs, overcooked ribs will eventually get mushy.

Comment

• amiriliano
            amiriliano commented
            Editing a comment
            Good points. Maybe I should have waited longer. I got nervous when some areas were reading 207

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            If I read this right, amiriliano is talking about dry and difficult to pull pork belly, not ribs.

For pork belly, I'd be looking at different kinds of cooks: bacon (after curing), char siu, siu yuk. Pulled wouldn't have occurred to me.

Comment

Cooking pork belly attached to ribs is trying to cook two entirely different cuts together that really would normally be treated differently.

Like EdF says, pork belly is normally used differently - I've sure never heard of it being used for pulled pork. What you did here was take two cuts that really want to be treated differently, and cook them together. Sounds like it didn't work out optimally.

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with JF. Two separate cuts. Cut the ribs away for spare ribs and use the pork belly to make bacon.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct! What jfmorris said!!! Smoke bacon & BBQ ribs! Enjoy!

EdF I’ve read/heard from more than one source that pork belly produces the "best kind of pulled pork." Check our minute 9:50 and on in this video. What do you think?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I will check it out. Hadn't occurred to me with so many other options. Thanks!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              @amariliano Who am I to argue with a BBQ legend like Malcolm Reed?

I don't doubt that belly can be "pulled," but it doesn't seem like the obvious move to me. Not that it wouldn't be good -- properly cooked pork belly IS GOOD -- but the form factor doesn't seem right.

Comment

I did some pork bellies a month or so ago. One of them pulled nicely, the other 3 pieces didn't. IIRC the one that pulled hit a bit higher temp than the others. Probably around 205 or so? The others were closer to 195.

I know when people cook whole hogs the belly is usually pulled and comes off in nice, long threads almost like spaghetti. That is what I was hoping for.

Comment

• amiriliano
                amiriliano commented
                Editing a comment
                JoeSousa exactly. That’s what I was hoping for and what I’ve seen.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here