Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Pulled Pork

I'm thinking of giving this a go Memorial Day Weekend. Has anyone tried this?

Smoked pork shoulder with the sweet, spicy, and fiery flavors of Korean barbecue. Sweet, salty, spicy, fiery, with those Asian umami flavors.

Bookmarked that to give it a try

Comment

Gochujang on and marinating overnight. Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	505826Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	505827

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        But Sambal Oelek will always be cool because it’s always gonna be too wrong for a lot of folks. Even though it’s basically chunky chili-garlic sauce.

• Buck Flicks
        Buck Flicks commented
        Editing a comment
        I love sambal. It's a bit too pungent to eat as a condiment (at least the jar I got was,) but it's great to throw in to stuff for spicy garlic kick, and it lasts forever in the fridge. I like to mix it in ketchup and honey for a meatloaf glaze.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        If it's too pungent to eat as a condiment, your jar is like everyone else's.
        Also, you don't really need to refrigerate it. I keep it in my spice cabinet. I made the mistake with my first jar of not using it for a couple months, opening it, and mistaking the smell for rotting... it's a bit like fish sauce... rotten before you get it. Mold is the only real problem.

Gochujang paste is like one of my favorite ingredients after making Korean chicken wings from a Amercia’s Test Kitchen recipe recently. Definitely gonna make this recipe.

Comment

• OSB
        OSB commented
        Editing a comment
        Its out of this world.

I never tried it, but I am going to now. Thanks for the link!

Comment

I would really like to hear how it turned out. Ingredients look awesome.

Comment

3 hrs in. Threw on some beef backs ribs with hot sauce and BBBR as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	506140

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Can not wait to hear how this pork turns out. I’m likely gonna do it next weekend, after my wife’s imposed rest and no smoking rule expires.

• OSB
            OSB commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris That's almost torture no BBQing Memorial Day Weekend.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes OSB it is torture, as I enjoy BBQing. She only thinks it’s work because she doesn’t like cooking as much as I do. I endured the desecration of the ribs tonight (crock pot). Trying to talk her into letting my son flip burgers tomorrow on the gas grill.

I will highly recommend giving this a shot. May not be for everybody but i thought it was epic and a different take on Pulled Pork. The pics don't do it justice. I followed Raichlen's Recipe to a tee except for crisping the skin at the end and instead rested in a faux cambro for 3hrs. Get some quality Kimchi. It sets it off like a good cole slaw would standard pulled pork. Try this!Click image for larger version  Name:	011.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.05 MB ID:	506584 Click image for larger version  Name:	013.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	506963Click image for larger version  Name:	016.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	506586
          Last edited by OSB; May 28, 2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• Buck Flicks
            Buck Flicks commented
            Editing a comment
            OH man... a gochujjang pulled pork and kimchi sandwich with korean BBQ sauce sounds awesome right now. Mouth is watering.

Wow!

Comment

OSB I've got this recipe started, and it will be my first smoked/grilled meal in weeks. I can't wait. The butt has been rubbed down with 1 cup of gochujang and is now marinating in the pepper paste until Saturday evening. I'm planning to smoke it overnight for Sunday afternoon lunch.

I hope it's not too hot for my girls. Everyone else likes spicy stuff! The butt was 9.5#, and still partially frozen, so I could not cut it in half before rubbing it down. Should be thawed by the time it hits the kettle+SNS though.

Comment

• OSB
              OSB commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't say it is overly spicy but it does have some kick. For those that may want to tone it down the thai sweet chili sauce as a condiment should be right up their alley. You are going to love this jfmorris.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks EdF and OSB - I will pick up some of the Thai sweet chili sauce for sure.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Another good one if you want sweet over hot is Mae Ploy, a Chinese sweet pepper sauce (that goes very nicely in pulled pork, in moderation, BTW). https://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Swee...et+chili+sauce

EdF I love Mae Ploy on Bang Bang Shrimp. Nice combo of hot shrimp and sweet sauce. Good idea to offer it on pulled pork for those who don't tolerate spicier foods.

I'm so going to make this Korean Pulled Pork recipe, OSB and jfmorris , just as soon as I make the drive to Sam's club to score some PBs. It sounds so delicious. JFMorris, keep us posted on how your cook turns out.

Kathryn

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris you should try making it yourself sometime - no more difficult than homemade sauerkraut, and equally satisfying!

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF I figured it would be similar to sauerkraut. I’ve not made this yet either.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll like it.

I make a pork jerkey with siracha, garlic, cilantro, lime, sesame oil, salt, and honey that is killer. I bet this is similar!

Comment

Well, my first cook since May 18th started when I dropped this bad boy on the Performer at 7PM... just raked the coals and topped off the SNS and going to bed now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	27ECE35E-AC43-4473-85E7-0B1091675570.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	510133

Comment

Ok, this cook is a wrap, and leftovers all bagged and in the fridge. Definitely doing this one again some time. Nice change from the typical pulled pork and bbq sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E61318A3-E0A0-4CC3-A860-3DFFBB3D5619.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	510642

Comment

• OSB
                  OSB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I couldn't agree more. It's on the rotation. Glad you liked it jfmorris.

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful!

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yummy-looking!

I made it too, following the Barbecue Bible recipe for the pork and for the Korean BBQ Sauce. Served as sliders with kimchi on Chinese steamed buns.

it was too spicy for my husband, who chose to use the Blues Hog Championship Blend (Original+Tennessee combined) instead of the Korean BBQ sauce. I loved it, though.

I don't think I can serve this at a party without a big warning about the heat level of the spice. Even then, only a few of our friends would even try it. But for us at home it's great.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; June 16, 2018, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here