Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a mop sauce for pork shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a mop sauce for pork shoulder?

I did when I first started smoking them, but have for a while. What about you?

Never did, but I've always wanted to maybe do a little mopping after the bark settles in to maybe add a layer of flavor. I guess I just really been too lazy to make the mop.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey that’s a debate you are going to lose. 😁

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey never, Pretty much a non-injecting, non-mopping, smoker with respect to red meat and the other white meat,

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I just woke up from my nap. No mop today. Using the blues hog rub and red sauce.

I like the idea, in principle, but have not tried it yet...

Comment

Alright, now you’ve got me thinking .... this is how Chris Lilly at Big Bob Gibson’s does it ..... and most other Southern BBQ joints. Not mopping is really a Texas and west coast thing. So, I’m gonna have to try it Big Bob style and see how it comes out.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Other than Meathead’s cookbook, I’ve got Chris Lilly’s and Aaron Franklin’s .... figure you can’t go wrong with those

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        I HIGHLY recommend you get Peace Love and BBQ by Mike Mills. If I had to save 4 BBQ books it would be that one and the 3 you mentioned... although I may have to save a Famous Dave’s book since I got to hang with him for a few and he autographed it.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate ordered on Amazon

I’ve used Chris Lilly’s before. Just be careful not to wash off smoke and rub.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Nate thanks for that last comment, can I use a Swiffer instead??

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard , some trial and error have led me to believe you can as long as it is the Swiffer Wet Jet!

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Nate I'd use it just cause it rhymes

So I decided to mop it (I'm spraying the mop sauce on) and I started that after about 12 or 13 hours. I'm doing a an apple juice, cider vinegar, and bourbon based mop.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Yum Yum Yum

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds great except I have a hard time putting bourbon in anything other than me!

I have never thought about adding bourbon to a mop sauce. I might just have to try that. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures at the end of the cook, but everyone thought it was good, and I was happy with the result as well. Here's a picture I took at about 12 hours. It reached 103 after 19 hours. So this was before the mop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180520_092538.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	502870

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          What is your verdict? Will you mop again or pass?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I will mop again for two reasons. I think it did enhance and accentuate the bark significantly. Secondly the Primo and DigiQ controller was so rock steady I would literally have had to do nothing for 19 hours. Being able to go out there and mop the meat once an hour for last few hours was fun.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Would you mind sharing your mop recipe?

Looks Awesome!!! That Primo looks great too. That was a heck of a find!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here