Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solving the Great Rib Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solving the Great Rib Battle

Yup, it’s a battle .... I like SLC ribs and my wife likes back ribs ..... how to solve the problem without a divorce?

Yes, you’re right .... one rack of each!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0B22AC26-295C-4D01-BFF5-B893CE088B5C.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	502065

A man's gotta' do what a man's gotta' do!

Comment

That's the way to do it!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha and I like it...

I'm with ecowper. Spares are better for cooking AND eating.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        So am I, but I guess it's not all that matters!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you got me thinking EdF Do you prefer to be low n slowed, hot and fast or SV’d and reverse seared? 🤔

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        For ribs, low and slow for certain - and on the KBQ if possible. For other things - well it depends. I'm a pragmatist.

I did SLC, babys, and bone in country a while back. SLC was the winner. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170513_191714.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	502086 Tomorrow I will be doing 2 racks of babys and 1 rack of SLC. I typically get whichever is cheaper.

Comment

I have been doing both lately.

Comment

Haven't done pork back ribs in a couple years. Did a rack of "loin back" ribs yesterday cause they were on sale. Too much loin meat that ends up dry no matter what you do. I'm going back to spares (or St. Louis cuts). Usually cheaper & always better!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup!

Same here...I like Spares and wife like Back Backs . Have to keep the boss happy.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Happy wife happy life!

Smart man! Happy wife, happy life!

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            You can choose to be right or to be happy. Even if you win, you lose!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Such is the dilemma of being a man!

Another thought I had as doing prep. It seems that removing the membrane on the babys is easier than SLC. Anyone else notice that?

Comment

JTpellets I buy my ribs at costco and they have removed the membrane at the packing plant ..... no need to worry about it for me :-)

Comment

• phrogpilot73
              phrogpilot73 commented
              Editing a comment
              Totally explains why I couldn't figure out how to remove the membrane last night! First time with Costco ribs...

Fortunately, my wife and I prefer the SLC ribs! But I would have cooked what she liked also if we didn't agree.

Comment

I tell my wife "she is going to damn well eat whatever I cook and like it!" That's in my head of course, as I am putting one baby back and a slc rack on the smoker, with some chicken in case she changes her mind.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Just shows you guys have your priorities straight!

• phrogpilot73
                phrogpilot73 commented
                Editing a comment
                So I'm not the only one that says that (in my head)!

• PappyBBQ
                PappyBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha! Boy does THAT sound familiar!

Got the WSM fired up, dry brined the ribs for almost 24 hours, applied some MMD and put them on the WSM ... which is currently running at 225 with the Fireboard Drive. Got 5’ish hours to go ..... will have coleslaw, corn on the cob, cornbread, and French fries with it. And currently drinking Parkland Pils

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC0670FC-A07F-4ED0-BCF4-D7FC64DF0DFA.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	502546Click image for larger version

Name:	7603C771-628C-4DB7-8A64-7F19601A0699.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	502549Click image for larger version

Name:	36B92668-3B4F-4FE6-9EFC-C8922ED158B2.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	502548Click image for larger version

Name:	BA286639-3F9A-4C8B-A1C8-0BB4351ADFFE.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	502547

Comment

Funny, I was at the store this AM and almost grabbed one of each. Settled on the BB's only because they were on sale. Around my house when I ask what sounds good for dinner the usual answer is "whatever you're cooking".

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here