Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overcuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcuring?

Hello! I need some help with curing bacon. On April 25th I started curing some bacon using Meathead's maple bacon recipe and following the instructions for curing meats. According to the calculator, it had 5.2 days of curing to go. I fell ill and had to leave home for my parents' place and left the bacon curing. It's still there. Is it still any good, or should I (sadly) dispose of it?

as long as it was refrigerated, it should be fine. Rinse or soak it well, and go for it!

Comment

Once the salts in the meat equalize with the salts in the curing liquid, it can't get any more "cured". And since curing preserves the meat anyway, you should be fine.

Comment

If the liquid is not cloudy and doesn't smell funny, it should be fine. It MIGHT be oversalted, so I would soak it for about 6 hours in cold water in the fridge, changing the water once or twice. This will remove some of the maple flavor, so when it is smoking, give it a light coat.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny story. I had my wife convinced for about 6 months that maple bacon was made by feeding the pigs maple syrup their entire life....

I over cured mine: during a 7 day cure I thought the dry brine was too thin and not covering enough so I added more product. It came out so salty that we almost stopped eating bacon. I have 1 un-sliced slab left which I will have to do what Meathead suggested, soak it for a few hours. What I have been doing with the slices is soaking them just before cooking. But that has reduced the flavor and it is still a little too salty.

Comment

"we almost stopped eating bacon" .... that may be the saddest sentence in the English language

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Pretty sure that is in the Bible. It is just before the verse "Jesus wept."

• Oakgrovebacon
            Oakgrovebacon commented
            Editing a comment
            Life without bacon........I cannot comprehend!

Dick Anderson RonB Meathead JimLinebarger ecowper thanks guys! Appreciate the help. Will soak and smoke in the following days and report back.

Comment

Meathead I just brewed up some maple bacon. Meathead's recommendation to add a light coating of maple syrup gave me an idea to add a glazed to the bacon while smoking it. About 135* I brushed a coating of maple syrup. Wow came out just the way I hoped. It added just enough more syrup to make a beautiful glazed a touch sweeter.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	15808.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	497073

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here