Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to smoke a small pork shoulder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to smoke a small pork shoulder...

I wound up with a small pork shoulder, about 3 pounds. I've never smoked one that small. Any ideas on how that will affect cooking time? As an aside, I'll be smoking it along with a rack of ribs, my first ever pork belly, a couple of chicken leg quarters, and whatever else I can find in the freezer.

I did a similar-sized one last week that went 8 hrs at 225. I assumed it would be faster, but as the sun was setting on dinnertime I finally cranked it up to 300 to finish it. With that said, I've had 12 pounders come off in 8 hrs. In the future I will treat all butts the same and cambro or 150 degree oven if they finish early.

Comment

Or for something completely different, try this: https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKwh0tnl...4OQGHYdmp1juUA

Comment

• btuckertx
        btuckertx commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, me too! I think this will be a great dinner project for later in the week.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        With garlic & rosemary, that looks like it's a perfect treatment for a small lamb roast!!!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        We kind of get used to the idea that these tough pieces can best be handled using low and slow, but some pounding and thinning and the right temp can handle them too.

Like CaptainMike, I have found that the size of the roast really does not shorten the cooking time. In fact, when I first bought shoulder strips from COSTCO I underestimated the cooking time by about 4 hours. With that said, I had to check out EdF 's suggestion for an alternative (butterflying) and it sure looks good.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike : Sing to baby got back) I like Pork Butts and I cannot lie, the other Q'ers won't deny, when Costco comes along with a two pack roast I raise and make a toast. I want them rubbed and juicy before I pull them loosely. I put them on a bun and then I call them done that's how this song is sung.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. I've bought 2 small ones thinking they would finish quicker but no dice.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant tbob4 :-)

OK, this was not the best weekend cook. The ribs were OK, decided to move the pork shoulder to next weekend, and the pork belly/bacon was... rancid?! In an attempt not to take the blame myself, I'd like to think the pork belly was allowed to sit out before being frozen. However, I'm wondering if I didn't let it sit in the Amazing Ribs cure for way too long?

Do you laziness and procrastination, I let the belly sit in the cure for about a week, rather than the 2-3 days called for in the recipe. Guess I was thinking of the corned beef/pastrami recipe that basically doesn't place a hard upper limit on the curing time.

What say the mods?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Your problem was most likely contamination before you put it in the bag. Unfortunately, this does happen. Good thing you caught it and you didn't say, "it's fine" then cook it and serve it.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        A week in the cure won't hurt a thing. I routinely do a week or better. Interesting that it didn't smell bad ahead of time as the cure should prevent/stop spoilage rather than cause it??? That's what the "cure" is for.

btuckertx I generally cure my pork belly for 5 days. As long as the belly is in the fridge and completely covered in the cure, no air pockets, you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

• btuckertx
        btuckertx commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that's what I thought. It may be my above mentioned laziness led me to some unsafe/unsavory practices. I'll talk to my butcher (no Costco in SW OK) and see if I can't do better.

Cooked it, ate a small bite, thank God dogs are non-selective. Don't worry, they got the remains of one slice. Trash got the rest. I'll try again. How does everybody like the flavor of the AR bacon?

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that Meathead’s Maple Bacon is a great place to start. Once you are happy with it, start riffing on it from there!

• btuckertx
        btuckertx commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't tell Meathead, but neither I nor the lovely Mrs. I like maple syrup anywhere near our bacon. Yeah, I know, we're the kind of people who use those paper plates that separate everything...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here