Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly ideas

Decided to do a pork belly this weekend and am looking for some ideas on what to make. 1st time working with a pork belly. I found a recipe for burnt ends that I'm definitely going to try but what can I do with the other half of this 10 lb slab of what I expect to be heaven?

Hello MattyV - With pork belly you can BBQ, cure, or braise it. Since you're doing burnt ends, you're already doing the BBQ approach. I did the simple bacon recipe from AmazingRibs.com several weeks ago and it was a great curing experiment. Follow the recipe to make 3lbs. For the remainder if you want to try braising and enjoy Asian cuisines, look up a recipe for Chinese "Red" sauce or cooking "Red" pork belly. Braising is the same as slow-cooking but occurs in a sauce (braising liquid) and in covered pot, e.g. slow cooker.

Simple Bacon after smoking to 150 degrees
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170823_212523.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	379818

Dry brining and braising pork belly in "Red" sauce

Name:	20161228_165009-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	379819
    Last edited by (Lance); September 14, 2017, 10:57 AM. Reason: Uploading images

Comment

Well, this idea might not be so novel, but it sure is good. This is what I cooked for a large crowd this weekend, and they were digging in like they never seen bacon before.

1. Trim the skin off.
      2. Rub with your favorite pork rub.
      3. Smoke the slab with wood, at 225° F until it hits 85° C (185° C). About an hour before it's done, glaze it with a thick layer of dark golden syrup.

It's a winner, alright. I just slice it and eat it.

Comment

If you haven't already purchased the pork belly, I recommend buying it from a local Asian market, it's a staple there and be had at a reasonable price.

Comment

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately in small town Iowa we don't really have any Asian markets. But there was a great butcher close by I got one at.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          MattyV Depending on where you are in Iowa, the Sam's & Costco have been carrying pork belly the last year or so. Prior to that I ordered it by the case from HyVee or Fareway stores. At Fareway I could get it skin off.

I would just season it and smoke it. You will love the results. Or make bacon!

Name:	Pork Belly:KBQ.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	379410

Comment

• MattyV
          MattyV commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks amazing!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That photo with the background is something else!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys. This was taken out at my fathers place. tbob4 MattyV

The Bahn-Mi recipe from the main site or the board is a good idea too.

Comment

I'd recommend making Asian Pork Buns with it. Super delicious and not much more work. Same recipe as Pork burnt ends, then a few extra steps.

Comment

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the bread of Pork Buns. it is a standard in my house for BBQ leftovers. I make up the dough the day after BBQ day and the leftovers become steamed buns. they are amazing and delicious!

Bacon!!!!!!

Comment

Bacon - bacon - bacon try different flavors - you will be making your own from now on!

Comment

Definitely make some bacon. You can cut the 10lb slab into 2 or 3 smaller slabs and do different flavors. Once they are cured and smoked they freeze beautifully. I cut mine into maybe 3/4 lb slabs prior to freezing. That way you can defrost reasonably sized amounts.

Comment

I've cooked it a few different ways now and I think I like smoking low and slow until IT of 165. Then into the fridge for 8 hours to chill. Then slice it 3/4-1" thick while it's cold, glaze it and grill the slices hot and fast.
                The other way is the recipe for the burnt ends here on amazing ribs.

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	379829Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	379830Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	379831Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	379832

Comment

I'm actually going to be doing pork belly this weekend for tailgating, here is Harry Soo's recipe for Pig Candy;

4.0 from 3 reviews Pork Belly Pig Candy   Print Prep time 10 mins Cook time 60 mins Total time 1 hour 10 mins   In my Sat

Comment

I make maple-whiskey bacon every 6 weeks. 9-10 lbs lasts about that long at my house.

The bacon fresh off the smoker, took it to IT of 165 with red oak

Name:	IMG_8683.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	379899

Cooked some bacon, eggs are from our own chickens, cooked in the bacon fat, and blackberries came off the bramble behind the back fence. Bought the bread at the store.

Name:	IMG_8711.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	379900

Comment

Hit of the party! Will definitely do those again. Threw some pork loins on too! We had the meat sweats by the end of the afternoon!

Name:	20170916_142648.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	382124

Name:	20170916_143457.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	382119Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_093922.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	382120Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_122743.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	382121Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_152345.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	382122Click image for larger version

Name:	20170917_153916.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	382123

Comment

you simply CANNOT go wrong with bacon. and, of course, once you have made bacon, you can roll up a slab into pancetta and hang it to dry in the fridge. and, let me tell you, once you have made your own bacon, you are going to join me in my class action lawsuit against hormel for false advertising.

You can play with your bacon recipe to dial in exactly what tastes best to you. also, home made bacon is ALWAYS a winner given as a gift!!

Comment

• ecowper
                          ecowper commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That weird injected stuff they sell in the grocery is not bacon. I don't know what it is, but it's not bacon.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here