Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly - Bacon and Banh Mi!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly - Bacon and Banh Mi!!!

Well I bought two of those mondo sized pork bellys about 11-12lbs from Costco two weeks ago thinking I'd use most of it last weekend for a sizable gathering. It didn't end up happening so I've had park belly coming out of my ears. Well I posted previously pics of the pork belly burnt ends I made. Here're some more pork belly recipes I've made since then. Bacon, outrageous BLTs w gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, and MH's wonderful new recipe - bahn mi sammies. Folks! That's a winner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3787.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.56 MB ID:	374836

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3791.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.02 MB ID:	374837Click image for larger version  Name:	9A6F1FD9-3E81-4D0E-8311-72A1491FFE74.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	374834

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46537.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	374832

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_46538.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	374833

Attached Files
    Last edited by JCBBQ; September 4, 2017, 05:05 PM.

A thing of beauty.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Dude are you freaking kidding me??

I'm throwing out my chicken and coming over to your house. Be there in 45 minutes.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Come on down!

PS I used a dark soy sauce in the glaze, that's why the pork belly looks black - it's not burnt.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JCBBQ I'm gonna be trying my first bacon next week. Got my butcher searching for some "side bacon". I like the Idea of the side bacon cause it has a higher meat to fat ratio. I'll let you know when I get it.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B Huh. Interesting. I've never heard of side bacon before. Yes, please keep me posted on that.

I smoked some pulled pork yesterday, and our friends brought over Bahn mi fixings. It was good but not OP good. I need to get a pork belly soon.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd never made banh mi before. The pickled veggies are dynamite. I like the idea of using pulled pork. Hell, I usually have a ton of it after cooking some, so it's a nice way to utilize the leftovers.

It was my buddy's idea to make Bahn mi with the pulled pork. A great idea. My only complaint was he didn't pickle the veggies and didn't bring daikon. Next time I'll be sure to have all the bases covered.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, daikon is key. I think it would be a pain in the ass trying to matchstick red radishes.

You and ecowper have me really excited. I have half of my COSTCO belly brining right now. I have to wait until Wed to smoke it for bacon. The other half is in the freezer. I think I have to take it out for a Tuesday belly sandwich. Thanks for the photos.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      The Bahn Mi recipe is amazing. Good way to get some veggies in too . Glad your Costco finally came through.

tbob4 what did you do for the cure? One of Meathead's standard cures? Something else?

The idea of Bahn Mi using smoked pork belly is a great one, but somehow I never seem to have any left after I make bacon :-)

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I assume you did the cure at 1.5X since my cure measurements are for 3 lbs of belly? If not, you need to leave it in the cure longer.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper - I used the calculator for the weight and the powder. Being a rookie at curing, I am assuming that if I am only leaving it in for a couple of days and I plan to freeze leftovers, being conservative on the cure is OK.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      If you used Doc Blonder's calculator and have the right amount of Prague powder, distilled water and time you are good to go.

Beautiful!

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DW!

Name:	21270784_10211465392322928_4685852652494845812_n.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	375030

Comment

That is some of the most awesomest bacon I have ever seen! Well done sir!

Comment

Holy crap, Batman!!! I have made some really good bacon before, but I have never had any turn out as nice looking as that. Great work!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, wow! Thanks. Beginners luck I guess...

Name:	FullSizeRender 11.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	375732
      JCBBQ and ecowper - Thanks again!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum!! Amazing and simple, right?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        You had to do that while I'm smelling bacon from the kitchen and haven't eaten all day!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4, do you have a slicer? I couldn't get thin slices like that.

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	376113Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0550.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	376114
      JCBBQ - I do have a slicer. Oh my, what a dinner!!!!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah!!!!!!! I had another blt for lunch too.

tbob4 .... maple syrup and bourbon!!!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's my after dinner drink!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Hahahaha

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here