Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sliced Pork Belly Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sliced Pork Belly Question

Hi everyone,

My parents were going to Costco, so I asked them to pick me up a few briskets. While they were there, and having really enjoyed the bacon I made for them a few months ago, they picked up a 10lb sliced pork belly and put it in my freezer. I didn't even know until the other day when I was wondering what that big hunk of meat was.

The Bacon recipe page says not to cure the pre-sliced stuff, "These recipes are designed for a solid unsliced slab of meat. There is too much surface area on sliced belly for it to be used."

I haven't opened up the package, but it looks like the slices are fairly thick, not really thinly sliced like you would for the final product. So my question, don't we want the cure to penetrate all the meat? Why is the extra surface area a problem? Can I use this to make bacon?

And yes, I know I could make burnt ends or other treats, and I may do that with some of it, but 10 lbs is a lot...

Probably could make "bacon" out of it but, IMO: it's not worth the trouble. Fried side pork is awesome. Burnt ends will work great. Grind it for sausage. Lots of ways to use up 10#. Buy unsliced, skinn off belly and make more bacon with that. Enjoy!

Comment

Oddly enough my well intentioned sister in law presented me with the same challenge but only 5 pounds. I skewered it back together the best I could tightly, made a dry rub of salt, pepper, brown sugar and coriander, dry brined it overnight and smoked it heavily the following day at 225 until 150. Not my best piece of work but respectable.

Comment

You can use your recipe out them together and brine. There not really "that much" ingredients we are talking about.

I have bought the the same packages. Some I SV'd others I fried, others cured and smoked.

All will be good. Some said above "plenty of ways to use 10lbs."

Comment

With that much surface area, it will cure much faster, get much more salt penetration. You will want to modify the cure .... best way to do so is a lot less time in the cure. Instead of 5-7 days, try only going 2 days.

Also, fried side pork is killer. Just season it with some salt, pepper, garlic powder and fry it up for breakfast. You won't hate it.

Comment

I got the same from Costco and prepared it the same as the instructions here. It ended up being too salty! I did the same with a slab of belly and it was Amazing! Cut them up into 1.5" cubes and make Pork belly burnt ends YUM!!!

Comment

There are a lot of things you can make from pork belly besides bacon. Check out char siu.

Comment

Pork Belly Burnt ends.
                These are extremely popular right now. They were great and everyone at the party loved them!

Comment

i ran into this: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ut-into-strips

Comment

• PBCDad
                    PBCDad commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you! I knew I had seen this issue posted before. Great to know it worked for you!

Thanks everyone,

I will see if I can make some burnt ends with some of this, but seeing as how it was bought for me with the intent of me making bacon out of it, I'll go with DeusDingo 's solution and tie it up. Thanks again everyone for the ideas, and I may have to pick up some more to experiment with soon...

Comment

I'd use some of it to make tocino: http://www.foxyfolksy.com/tocino-rec...et-cured-pork/ A truly awesome dish. I varied in that I refrigerated it rather than let it sit out at room temp and I didn't mess with the fondling part--just into a Zip Loc and into the fridge. It's bacon candy on steroids. You won't regret trying it.
                    Last edited by Willy; August 30, 2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                      HorseDoctor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That looks & sounds awesome! Will try that soon!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here