Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding ribs without faux Cambro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding ribs without faux Cambro

Hello! First time poster here. I just got a 22-inch kettle with a SNS and I’m cooking my first ever rack of ribs tomorrow. Since it’s my first time and I’m not exactly sure how long it will take, I'll probably start the cook a bit early, just to be sure.

If the ribs are done 1-2 hours before dinner time, can I hold them in the indoor oven at the minimum temp (170 F)? Will they dry up or stay OK? I’ve read about the faux Cambro and all that, but I don’t have a cooler and won’t have time to buy one.

What would be the best way to keep the ribs warm and fresh? Thanks for any help!

With ribs, I don't have much experience holding them. They start to disappear off the grill. But if I remember some of my reading, folks have put them loosely tented with foil in a pan in the oven on warm (170).

Comment

Whether in a pan, or not, wrap 'em tight as a tick, multiple foil layers.
      Then, yes, ya can hold 'em in th' oven.
      Won't hurt to put a lil' juice, jus, beer, apple juice, apple cider / vinegar in there, either...
      Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to th' Pit!
      Glad to see ya' here!

Comment

What Bones said

Comment

Welcome from Indiana.

yes you can use the oven.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. Please use heavy duty foil and wrap carefully with two layers of foil. The bones will easily pierce the foil, take care.

Comment

Exactley what bones said.

Comment

In a situation when you don't have access to an oven or cooler, HDAF - wrapped very tightly then wrap tightly in a towel. That'll keep them nice & hot for a couple two hours or so.

Comment

Welcome Ti-Nick I approve the answers above 🤡

Comment

Hey folks, not to take away from this post (as the question has been answered) but, what is the difference between a 'Charter Member and a 'Club Member' and a 'Pit Member'? Tim

Comment

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If I recall right, Charter Member joined in the first year, Club Member joined after year 1. Pit Member, not sure. I'm sure that Huskee could tell us.

Don't have a faux cambro, but I do have an ice chest. Wrap them tight in foil then wrap in a couple of thick beach towels and put it in the smallest ice chest you have. it will keep warm for hours. I bought a couple of moving blankets for about 10 bucks then let them air out for couple days. Now I use those and my wife no longer asks why the towels smell like a smoker.

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have a faux cambro - the term is for home-rigged setups like ours as opposed to the purpose-manufactured cambros that catering services and hotels use. (faux is French for fake ;-)

You don't even need to turn the oven on if you follow Mr. Bones ' advice - in fact you are better off with them wrapped as he suggested with the oven off. They will hold nicely. Chances are when you go to cut them they will still feel almost as hot as they were when you took them off the BBQ.

Comment

Your oven at its lowest setting will swing about 20-30°F higher as the heat cycles on. I wrap in foil, wrap in a towel, put in oven, put a spatula or something in the door to keep the oven door cracked about 1/2 inch. That way the oven temp stays pretty steady at 170°F. You just want to make sure the meat doesn't dip below 140°F for food safety reasons. That's why putting it in the oven adds extra insurance.

Kathryn

P.S. You might want to toss them back on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes to firm them back up before serving. It's your call. Best of luck!

Comment

Great! Thanks everyone for the tips and hello from Montreal, Quebec!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here