Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly Rookie. Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly Rookie. Help.

First attempt at a pork belly (skin off). Any suggestions or good techniques?

If you're making bacon, this should help:

Homemade bacon is easy and the results are much better than grocery store smoked bacon. You can make countless variations once you have the basic homemade smoked bacon recipe down.

Comment

Bacon or bulgogi. Both awesome.

Comment

No bacon. Just want to slow cook and pull the meat.

Comment

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never tried pulling belly- one idea is to smoke until probe tender then slice off bits to make sliders. I usually smoke with an all purpose rub and then wrap in foil with brown sugar and agave. it turns out great!

Dry brine for a day or two. Add your favorite rub. Low and slow until internal temp is about 200 (or probe tender). It will pull.

Comment

Belly pulls, but better off being bacon. You could also cut belly into 1/8" thick slices, then flour and fry them in a small amount of oil in a skillet. When you think they are done, cook em some more. Place slices on on paper towel and season with salt. If you like cracklin's, you will love this. Non-cured pork belly is what we had in place of bacon when I was growing up. Welcome to the Pit, Rbeatse!

Comment

My wife's Uncle does belly a lot. I think he leaves the skin or but not sure. Always looks amazing. He does it like pork shoulder just low and slow. With the fat content I do not think you can go wrong. If you can might try to save that fat for some gravy or just pain goodness

Comment

I wouldn't even pull it, personally. One of my favorite appetizers is pork belly, which I've always had served as a small rectangle :-)

Comment

Char Siu is my favorite belly treatment other then bacon. Used to have a trad recipe that was unbelievable, but this one looks promising: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ork-belly.html

Google "char siu buns" for the perfect thing to put the cooked bits of belly in!

Have fun!
                Last edited by EdF; December 29, 2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

If you do end up pulling the pork belly, make sure it's a well marbled pork belly before taking it up to 200. Some pork belly has thick fat followed by thick strips of lean meat. If it's too lean, it will dry out at 200 and you'll only have good meat around the fat. You're better off going the bacon route if it's too lean, or I've had success with leaner pork belly going low and slow until right when it breaks out of the stall, around 175, then pull it out and slice it.

Comment

rbeatse Welcome! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here