Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A hog from farm to butcher to me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hog from farm to butcher to me!

We bought a half a hog from my cousin. It came from the butcher with minimal processing ----meaning no smoke, no cure, just butchered and cut up and wrapped. I took out a "pork shoulder roast" and a "fresh ham roast" for today's cook. My thought is to salt them and use the memphis dust on them. I'm looking for any other suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

Sounds good to do low and slow for the shoulder. Because the ham tends to be leaner, you might want to check recipes for oven roasting, and cook it quicker and to a much lower temp. Not going to work in the same cooker, I guess.

Also getting kind of late to eat a low and slow shoulder today.

Comment

Since you have a ham roast, you might consider curing your own ham. It's so much better than a store bought ham ....

Create a smoked ham at home that will put any store-bought ham to shame thanks to this simple, yet flavor packed recipe. The key to creating a ham like the ones you normally purchase during the holidays is the curing process. Without curing a fresh ham, you won't achieve the same flavor or deep red color of the traditional type.

Comment

Welcome klahlum

Comment

Welcome aboard klahlum! It would be great if we could get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here