Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completed my first overnight cook (Pork shoulders on WSM 22.5, 16 hour smoke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed my first overnight cook (Pork shoulders on WSM 22.5, 16 hour smoke)

This is long and rather uninteresting, but could be of use to any WSM owner contemplating their first overnight smoke. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and if I can answer I certainly will.

I had two monster (12lb each) pork shoulders that had been in my fridge and needed to be used soon. I'd been planning for the last week and a half to wake up super early one of these mornings and get it going but alas late nights turned into late mornings so finally I decided to brave my first overnight cook on my Weber Smokey Mountain 22" last night.

In my brief experience with the WSM it holds temps like magic, so I felt confident giving this a try. I injected and rubbed the butts around 6pm and put them back in the fridge. Around 9pm I got the smoker going with a healthy (massive) heap of charcoal (minion method) and 6 large cherry wood chunks. By 9:30pm the smoker was at 250F so I put the butts on and closed the bottom dampers to about 33% open. By 10pm I ever-so-slightly adjusted the dampers to get the temp to hold at 250F and I was off to the races. I checked in again at 11pm and it was still at 250F with just the right amount of smoke coming out of the top damper. Went to bed by midnight and woke up at 8am on the dot. Like an excitable child on xmas morning, I rush down and check the smoker in my robe: 250F still! The WSM is a madman, giving a whole new definition to the word reliable. And contrary to the weather forecast, it ended up raining about an hour after I went to bed and all through the morning and afternoon. It didn't seem to affect the WSM performance at all.

Internal temp at 8am was 178F.. just breaking out of the stall (my plan to wake up around 4am and foil was thwarted thanks to a perfect rainy/autumn Oregon night providing me ample uninterrupted sleep). The upside to not foiling is I had a wonderful bark on the butts.. the best bark I've managed so far -- or so I thought! More on that shortly. By 1pm I had reached a perfect 203F on each butt so I wrapped them tight in foil and put them in my oven (not turned on, just a good holding spot) until 4pm.

Two things to note:

The bark was tasty, but the meat right under was pretty dry and almost like shoe leather. Fortunately I could 'tear' these slabs of hardened meat off in large/thin pieces to reveal the moist meat underneath. I maybe lost about 20% of the meat due to this hardened shell, but that's a small price to pay for the ease of smoking the butts overnight while sleeping. Had I managed to wake up and foil at 4am I likely would've avoided this dry meat on the surface. Still, it was an easy fix to remove the layer of tough meat before shredding the good stuff.

It was my first time injecting, and probably my last. I used Butcher's BBQ injection and while the process was novel, all it seemed to do was add a flavor and salt level that just didn't jive well with me. It wasn't bad per se, but it's entirely unnecessary. And all those phosphates and msg has had me chugging water all evening, my buddies too. I actually like the taste of real pork without additives, so I'm not sure why I injected in the first place. Likely to satiate my curiosity.

Next time I do an overnight smoke I'll be sure to set my alarm so I can spritz and foil when necessary, but overall I'm very pleased with the experience. I'm not a big thermometer guy, but I don't need to be thanks to the WSM.

Very detailed, nice write-up!

Thanks for sharing.

When time permits, pictures, if you'd be so kind.

Thanks for sharing,

Best regards!

Comment

I love my WSM 22 .... consistent 225-250 without an issue. All the time.

Comment

Congratulations on the overnighter! I've done several pork butts on my Weber Kettle. I never considered injecting anything except a turkey until I found this site. From all the great info I've read here, I agree with you that injecting butts is probably not necessary. But if you do, find something that has no or very little salt. On the bark, I have learned a new thing from AR called "probe tender". My first butt on my new pellet smoker 2 weeks ago was probe tender at 194 degrees, and the bone was still a bit firm. I pulled it off, wrapped it in foil, placed it in a 170F oven (that's as low as mine will go) and 2 hours later pulled it. The bone easily pulled right out, and it was all super juicy and tender. Even under the bark. Don't get hung up on 203. I suspect when you pulled at 203 and wrapped it rose to maybe 210 or even more. This may have dried the edges. Again, I am far from an expert and I am sure more experienced Pit members will chime in and correct me.

Comment

Great post. Thanks.

Comment

AZRedneck I think you are dead on with the dry meat under the bark. I have found that pork butts almost never hit 203 when I pull them. Probe tender and bone wiggle generally happens around 195-198, but I start checking around 190.

Comment

AZRedneck: You're probably right. I usually pull butts closer to 190-195 and let them rest til they reach temp -- and usually I crutch the butts once they hit the stall so that certainly retains moisture. Personally, I'd rather have a tender butt w/ slightly soggy bark than what I ended up with yesterday -- but this is just a personal preference.

And I also agree with you about the injection. Again, this may simply be an issue of personal preference but I'm not a big fan. It may work great in competitions but I was chugging water all night. Even if the injection was nothing but some apple cider vinegar, spices and garlic I still think I'd pass on the injection method and stick to lightly saucing the smoked shoulder with something like Blues Hog Tennessee Red to get the flavor profile I'm after.

As for pictures.. the perils of leaving my phone 90 miles away in Portland (I live out on the coast, in Astoria). Next time!

Appreciate the helpful feedback

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here