Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Pork Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Pork Butt

I have a change for a REAL GOOD price on pork butts. Considering freezing them and using them over the months. Any advice out there about the effect on the final product out of the Pit Barrel Cooker? Also, what are your thoguhts about pork botts with the bone removed? Thanks. Jim Burgin

I'll let you know Sunday as I just got my PBC today, and I'm testing it out with a pork butt that I also bought at a good price that's been in the freezer for a month. It's been thawing in the refrigerator since Wednesday, and I'll dry brine it with kosher salt tomorrow. I've done thawed butts before on my Egg, and they've always tasted great.

Pics will be forthcoming after the cook on Sunday, and taste reviews to follow!

Comment

• Jim Burgin
      Jim Burgin commented
      Editing a comment
      Great! Thanks much! Jim Burgin

Jim Burgin ..... First, I buy cryovac's of pork butts at Costco that contain two pork butts. I crack the cryovac and freeze the butts. Often I cut them in half and freeze them in chunks. What I do is wrap the butt in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. They keep well for 8-12 weeks that way.

Second, as far as the bone removed, I prefer it. I buy almost all my pork butts at Costco. Costco sells them in a two pack cryovac. And they have removed the bone. I just take the pork butt, tie it with butcher's twine and then add my rub. I cook it just like I would a bone in pork butt. EXCEPT it cooks 2-4 hours faster, in my experience. And is just as tender, flavorful, etc.

I really, really, really prefer a pork butt with the bone already removed.

Comment

I freeze mine in the cryovac they come in. I don't see any difference in final product. If I could get boneless for the same price as bone in I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'm kinda tight, so I alway opt for the cheapest cut.

Comment

I agree with what others have said. I cook often enough that I don't worry about freezing a butt and using later. I wonder, though, what if you went ahead and applied the salt and rub prior to freezing? I'm thinking you could then just put the frozen butt on the smoker without the need to thaw. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
          ...I wonder, though, what if you went ahead and applied the salt and rub prior to freezing?...
          Most of the beef that I re-package and foodsaver gets salt. ( a trick I've learned from AR ) . I haven't pre-rubbed, but I think I've seen a part of a thread from Jerod Broussard where he does the whole brine/rub and takes the meat straight out of the freezer onto the cooker ( Brisket - mebbe?) He adds 2 hours to the cook.

I put cryovac meat straight into the freezer and deal with the brine / rub later - when it thaws.

Thanks for the info regarding Pork Butt. They're on sale this week at Kroger @ 1.49 / lb. 1 to pull, 1 to grind,

-- Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here