Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Butt

Tackled my first butt yesterday. 6 pounds, bone-in, on a 22 inch Weber with a Slow 'N Sear, apple wood for smoke, no injection, no crutch. Dry brined 35 hours.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RawButt.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	213664

Used MMD for the rub

Name:	DustedButt.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	213665

Total cook was 10 hours. I upped the grill temp towards the end to get through the stall.

Name:	CookedButt.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	213666

Held foil covered in 170 * oven for 1.5 hours waiting for guest to arrive and downing a G&T.

Finished product

Name:	PulledButt.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	213667

I'm really getting into the SnS. I find it easy to hit and hold my target temps. Next time I will cook two butts. There is enough grill room on a 22 inch Weber to accommodate them - cook once, eat many times. I like the idea that you don't have to get up at oh-dark-thirty to prepare these for a dinner.
    Last edited by OneEyedJack; August 26, 2016, 09:17 AM.

Great job! It's hard to beat the ease and flavor of BBQ done right with charcoal, wood and the SnS!

Comment

Nicely done! Isn't the SnS awesome?

Comment

• OneEyedJack
        OneEyedJack commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a fabulous tool. Coupled with a Maverick remote grill and meat probes, you're in business!

That's a beautiful cook and some awesome bark! Well done.

Comment

Yummy-looking! Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

For what it's worth, I no longer tie my bone-in butts and they hold together fine. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• OneEyedJack
            OneEyedJack commented
            Editing a comment
            Three pieces of string aren't too much. I was being cautious because of how fall-apart my brisket finished. I wanted to be able to get the whole butt into the pan in one piece.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand. Your pulled pork looks so good I'm planning my next one, which will probably be next weekend after a day drive to Florida.

Bark bark and more bark. Looks like a home run to me!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            "Bark bark and more bark"... now you're sounding like Hilary.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha, my bad. Although mine had far more truth and substance. HorseDoctor

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            At the risk of being banned for talking politics, you are correct (as usual). Just couldn't pass a set up line like that...

Beautiful!

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments. These cooks are fun projects and the payoff is YUUGE!

Comment

Looks great! From appearances, you can't ask for a better pork butt.

Comment

OneEyedJack, Great Looking Pork Butt! I'll call you the Next Time and you can run to Fargo and Smoke it For Me! I've got the Equip, I just lack the Skill!
                Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

@OneEyedJack, Great cook! Now I want pulled pork... and I'm hungry... must avoid getting cranky. lol

Comment

Nice cook! And you inspired me to go out and get 1 to cook this weekend.

Comment

Looks very well done, great job. I am sure your guest were pleased.

Comment

I came to the group looking for info on my first butt with a s&s. Your post was the first that showed up in a search. I am soo inspired! Thanks OneEye!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here