Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Texas Crutch liquid additive. What's your favorite concoction to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled Pork Texas Crutch liquid additive. What's your favorite concoction to use?

I'm getting ready to wrap a 10 lb pork butt that I cut in half. I have been using a 1/4 cup of apple juice and have been happy with the results. Just went to get everything ready for crunching them once they make it past the stall or get a good crust going. Come to find out my almost 4 year old daughter wiped out the apple juice today. So that's out of the question. I have been searching the forum for some good suggestions and haven't found any posts about this specifically.

Any other suggestions? I dry brined for 12 hours and used meatheads Memphis dust for a rub. I put on a thin coat of mustard before the rub. I could just skip the liquid or use water but I would prefer not to. I just don't know what other options people have been successful with. Any input or ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Apple Cider Vinegar

or if I am using Chris Lilly's mop recipe then I pour a little of that in:

Vinegar Mop
    1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/8 cup cayenne pepper
    1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 slices of lemon

I usually have plenty of that left and just pour approximately 1/4 cup in there.

Comment

Just me but I wouldn't add anything, the moisture will make for a soggy crust. If you have to add something try beer or maybe orange juice.

Comment

A 1/4 cup beef broth and a tablespoon of Memphis Meat Dust, if you have some on hand. I don't normally crutch a pork butt, that's what I would put in the foil if I was going to crutch it.

Comment

ecowper I'm gonna do what you recommended on one half and nothing on the other half like ribeyeguy suggested and see what the difference ends up being

thanks guys

Comment

Not sure if I have ever added anything to pork shoulder crutches. I typically add water to brisket so they don't stick to the foil (I wrap fat cap down).

I would like to start spritzing pork shoulders. Just cause I like using the word "spritzing." Plus a little tangy vinegar like flavor couldn't hurt. Have to test that out on the family next cook.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on fat cap down

Be interested to know how they come out jbeck1986!

Jerod Broussard .... I've been thinking of cooking a couple pork butts Carolina style, with vinegar mops, etc. Just cause I want to see if I can replicate the pork I remember from the years I was stationed there

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Well then you probably need a case of whatever you drank back then in between smoker and table.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard I gave up drinking Black Label a LONG time ago.

I wrap them dry, and when I unwrap to pull them, there's liquid in the foil. This tells me I don't need to add any liquid, because liquid comes out during the wrap. I add beer to my mouth quite often though, that's always good practice I think.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard None come to mind...but this should be be tested!
              Actually I used to add liquid to foil when I wrapped, even my ribs. In fact my rib recipe was submitted to KCBS' recipe section few years ago, and there I say to wrap the ribs & add liquid. My how things change.

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty sure Franklin wraps his ribs. I wrapped ribs once to do that Vermont Candy number.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Jerod Broussard What does he know.. ha ha. If I did 300 racks a day to save & serve I would too. But 1-6, nah. But I used to. One of these days Imma do sloppy ribs, butter, brown sugar, wrapped, the whole nine sloppy yards. I know they'll be gooood.

Yeah telling people you spritz definetly feels fancy. I feel like I should have one of those fancy chef hats when You tell people that. 😎

Comment

Ginger ale, apple juice, nothing, Stubbs pork marinade (but sieve out the chunky stuff). Or mix ginger ale with filtered Stumps, that's very nice.

Comment

I've never added anything but I do spritz mine periodically with a mix of apple cider and plain apple juice.

Comment

I put some squeeze butter, molasses, and just a touch of maple or butter pecan syrup in the crutch when it's pork. I don't add vinegar to the mix until I make a sauce from the drippings.

Comment

So I didn't even wrap the second half. It ended up not being as moist but was pretty decent still. It had some great bark on it tho. Since I mixed them both up together it was a pretty good balance. All in all it was a success

Comment

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a really good idea, jbeck1986 . Wrapping one half and not the other gives the best of both worlds. One half brings extra juice to the party and the other donates his delicious bark. Win-win. I may try that. Thanks

Kathryn

So there's the end results. Been waiting to upload till I had wifi
                    Attached Files

Comment

• boftx
                      boftx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looking good!

• fuzzydaddy
                      fuzzydaddy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great bark. Looks delicious.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here