Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin Bacon

Picked up a 9.8 lb pork belly at Costco yesterday .... $2.79/lb is hard to argue with. Separated into 4 chunks, 2 of 2 lbs and 2 of almost 3 lbs. 2 will have the simple bacon cure, 1 has the maple bacon cure and the 4th is being saved until Jordan let's me know which recipe she thinks sounds good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	208930 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	208931
    Last edited by ecowper; August 14, 2016, 10:44 PM.

Nice! You're on to bacon!

Comment

Everything is better with bacon. Keep the pics coming.

Comment

Looking forward to this. And at the Costco price, I can make my own bacon for about $3.00/lb, not counting my own labor. Quality bacon at the butcher shop is $8.00/lb.

Comment

Keep us posted.

Comment

ALL RIGHT, ecowper !!!

Please keep us updated! Still waiting to do my first.

Comment

The Costco pork belly is so easy to work with. I still have two slabs in the freezer... Good luck.

Comment

I do love Costco for that. That prom belly didn't need anything but a quick rinse and to be sliced into reasonable size slabs

Comment

Costco also sometimes carries 5lb pork belly packaged in five 1lb slabs. Saves some time if you want to try different cures. Really becoming a fan of Costco's meat dept.

Comment

Reds Fan 5 .... I didn't see that, I would have considered grabbing that. Was the price pretty close to the full pork belly? Cause for $2.79/lb I can carve into 1 lb slabs myself, know what I mean?

But yeah, I love Costco's meat Dept. Fantastic ribs, always. Full packers, full pork bellies .... Love the pork butts, too. I can get a whole pork loin or beef tenderloin anytime. Or order a rib roast with as many bones as I want.

Comment

Noice, way to go! You'll have to email me a piece of that.

Comment

I'm betting the maple wins! If so, try basting a bit with more maple syrup or crumble some brown sugar on it as it smokes.

FWIW: Once you decide which is your favorite, half of that slab will fit in a 2 gallon ZipLock bag for curing.

Enjoy!!!!

Comment

I thought the simple bacon was very good. My favorite so far is the Asian bacon recipe. I found the maple a bit sweet for my taste. If I make it again, I am cutting back on the syrup. YMMV Enjoy!

Comment

Thunder77 I was thinking the same thing about the maple bacon. Karyn is really the only one of the family that I think will like it.

Comment

Those bellies make great bacon. Your really going to enjoy that one.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here