Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Meal Ribs, a day ahead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Meal Ribs, a day ahead?

OK, let me start by saying I hate doing what I am about to ask, but it's either this or don't eat ribs (heaven forbid)...

Because of an early morning commitment tomorrow that will take me away from the house until mid-afternoon, I need to smoke the ribs today to be served tomorrow. Any advice on how to make this less like leftovers and more like they're supposed to be? I have four racks of baby backs that I am skinning, trimming and salting now and plan on cooking them in a couple of hours...

Check out this article on the main AR site....

"But if you have no choice, cook them about three hours at 225°F, wrap, chill rapidly, and the next day warm for about two to three hours in foil, remove the foil, firm the crust, add the sauce, and you're ready to rock."

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._tomorrow.html

maybe PaulstheRibList has a thought?
    Last edited by Nate; August 13, 2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

cdevito, we wrap leftover ribs (in 3 bone sections if possible) with sauce in foil, bake them in the oven to warm through. They are better than no ribs at all and fine for a quick weeknight meal a day or two after a weekend cook but they definitely taste like leftovers. Others here likely have much better leftover rib techniques.

Comment

@ Nate - Thanks! That's roughly what I figured. My plan (unless the experts recommend something different) is to heat them slowly in the oven, then put them over moderately high direct heat to firm up the crust, then sauce and back on the heat to make the sauce gooey.

@ Reds Fan 5 - Yeah, I've done that before too. Im hoping for a better result with some advice from the Pit Masters...

Comment

Similar to Meathead's article, except I smoke mine longer initially on smoke day (5-7 hrs seems to be my average) then reheated them, wrapped tightly in foil, dry, for a couple hrs at the usual 225 either on the smoker or indoor oven.. Darn close to fresh-good.

Comment

I've done what Huskee talks about. I basically cook the ribs until "nearly" done, immediately wrap tightly in foil and shove them in the fridge (I'm fortunate to have a huge garage fridge). The day to eat the ribs, I use the oven at 225 (unless I don't want to heat up the house, then I use the grill). At this point, you can't really add smoke to them, so oven or grill is the same. I cook them about 2 hours and do a bend test. They should be hot now AND they should be "done". Some direct heat helps with the bark, plus you can sauce them if you want to. I never sauce my ribs, but some people like sauce on ribs so I provide it for them on the side :-)

That method has given me ribs that were about 85% as good as if I pulled them straight off the smoker and to the table.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all! I'll be sure to let you know how it comes out...

Comment

One time I vac sealed half a rack and heated that in simmering water, and it turned out good. Sauce before or after, but saucing after and putting back on grill or under broiler works out just fine.

Comment

These days, the SV circulator does double duty as a food-reheater for things like smoked, sauced, and vac-sealed half-racks (much like thefist did in simmering water).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here