Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Weekends Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Weekends Cook

I kind of went off the reservation for this one. We were having my wife's nephew and wife over and my wife wanted the ribs prepared like I have done in the past. This would be pre-SnL using a technique that I developed over the years. The rub and mop recipes were lifted from Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby's book, "Thrill of the Grill." The unusual part of this technique is the mop which consists of distilled vinegar, salt, sugar, Tabasco sauce and black pepper. The results are a slightly spicy meat that nobody ever wants to put BBQ sauce on. Started the grill with 25 coals and added 6 more each hour over the 5 hours cook. Used 8 oz. of apple wood for smoke. A drip pan of water was kept under the ribs and their position was shifted each time the fuel was added. I kept track of the grill temperature by sticking the probe of a ThermaPen down the top vent of the kettle. Surprisingly, the grill temperature kept fairly consistent between 225 and 250 degrees. Top and bottom vents were each open 50%. The results follow...

Next project will be pork butts using the SnS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08_06_16_Cook_sized.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	206191

Those are fine looking ribs

Comment

Your ribs look delicious. I recently smoked a butt on the SnS with cherry wood. It was my first time to use cherry on a butt and it was good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here