Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' bacon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' bacon!

Trying to make my own bacon following AR's recipe. Will be finished in 10-14 days.

The recipe says to take the skin off. Is that referring to the thick layer of fat? Or has the skin been taken off already for me at Costco?

I'm making about 6pounds of bacon, but the other parts of the belly I'm going to smoke and pull (on Wednesday) then smoke and dice and fry on another cross section. Can't wait!

Pork belly comes either with or without the skin. Yours appears to have had the skin removed. That's a good thing as it is a bit of a PIA to skin pork belly. For certain sure, leave the fat on! It's bacon! Looking good! Enjoy!
    Last edited by HorseDoctor; July 10, 2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Looks like you have everything covered. I haven't bought pork belly at Costco for about four months. I see you paid $ 2.99/lb. The last time I purchased it, it was $ 1.37/lb. I guess that's why "Pork Bellies" are traded on the stock exchange. Different day, different price.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        oldsteve Did you buy it at that price at Costco? Or somewhere else?

• oldsteve
        oldsteve commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought it at Costco.

HorseDoctor and others who may have the answer:

When I bought the ~11 pounds of pork belly, I cut off a 4 lbs piece to smoke (and pull). It's on my smoker now. My question is: When I pull/shred the belly, do I include all that fat that's on the one side of the belly? Or do I pull all the meat (minus that big layer of fat)?

Comment

Never cooked belly to pull but would have to think there would usually be more fat there than you would want in the final product. Depends a bit on the individual piece of belly and the cook's preference but I'm thinking it will be plenty juicy without using all the fat. Enjoy!

Comment

Cured and now on the smoker!

Comment

Comment

Double yummy scottranda!

Comment

Cross-section. Whoa. Looks good. Taste testing tomorrow!!

Comment

That's just dadgummed droolicious! Kudos to ya!

Comment

That's inspiring ... Showed it to my wife and she said "okay, go get a pork belly at Costco" :-)

Comment

• scottranda
                      scottranda commented
                      Editing a comment
                      YES!!!!! Pork belly is cheap ($2.99 / pound) where I'm at. It's really simple to do. Make sure you have Prague powder when you're ready to make it. That can be tricky to find.

• ecowper
                      ecowper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I see that I can buy it on Amazon. I think that will work fine to get the Prague powder

So tell us about the cook itself. Temp, smoke, how it went, how it smelled .... Inquiring minds wanna know!

Comment

Looks delicious.
                      Yes, any insight would be great. This is on my list of things to try.

Comment

That looks really good.

Comment

I need to do this whenever I can find the time

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                            fuzzydaddy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Same here DWCowles. I need to order some extra time from Amazon.com :-)

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here