Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falling off the bone..Lets finally make a ruling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it falls off the bone it’s no longer ribs, it’s now fallen pork, closely related to pulled pork

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
      I’m a KCBS judge. The statement ‘is not what judges want to see’ is incorrect. Judges, in KCBS, are judging on appearance, taste and tenderness. Regarding tenderness, ‘when a rib is over cooked, most or all the meat comes off the bone when sampled’. Therefore, a rib where most of the meat falls off the bone would be marked down under tenderness, even if the judge likes it that way. It is suppose to be standardized judging.

Which IMHO is a good thing. Judging should be standardized (like jury instructions) so that judging is uniform.
      Did you happen to watch the video I posted?

Here is a master who mentions the FOTB over doneness is basically a Completion only thing, and most restaurants would go broke selling ribs any other way than that way.
      People like falling off the bone ribs.
      Ever eat more than a couple bites of Comp ribs?
      The few times I tried them I thought they were so over seasoned getting though a half rack would be hard enough much less a full rack.
      My point...Other than in the comp ring, ribs served for comp would find little favor with most people.

We of course, get to cook BBQ any way we want to, but to say FOTB is wrong because the Comp people say it is, shows a lack of understanding or an ego problem. imho

While I understand we all get to cook BBQ the way we like, if you say try your recipe for ribs as they're Comp winners, don't be offended if I say, I'll probably pass.
      As I like my ribs slightly seasoned, a side of Masterpiece BBQ sauce and FOTB done.

Thanks for replying all.

Al

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not say FOTB is wrong. In the world of KCBS competition, FOTB is overcooked and will get marked down. In your opinion,
        FOTB is the way you like them. Two different standards. Que em the way you like.

By the way, IMHO, competition ribs are the best ribs I’ve ever had and yes I’ve eaten much more than a couple bites.
        Last edited by TripleB; August 3, 2021, 01:55 PM.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My buddy ran a restaurant for years, had a large stickburner and did all his own smoking. He wrapped ribs in foil when done and kept them in a cambro until they were ordered. I think this manner of holding them comes from necessity for timing and profit, and of course leads to FOTB and therefore it's been a marketing thing for decades "try our FOTB ribs!"

I don't like to overcook mine to where its like pulled pork and the bones pull right out, but prefer one where as I bite the meat it pulls off the bone cleanly. I think what I make is not what would be considered competition ribs, but its not fully fall off the bone either.

Comment

To much to read here! Yer first sentence said it all: I don’t care ………
        puttin it better - Who gives a RIP! Cook em to eat em. Ya like eatin em then they are good to go. Ya don’t like how they came out, tough, eat em anyways, they’re Wibs.

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
          SonOfAButcher commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree, Mr. Fireman..eat um like you like um. Whether I gotta tear um or slurp um, them bones gonna look like they were dipped in acid no matter what....

I cook the ribs the way I like them. If you don’t like them that way it just means more for me! LOL

No, just kidding. I’ll cook for my crowd. Most like fall of the bone ribs so I’ll do most racks with the 3-2-1 method. I’ll do my rack usually with the 4-1-1 method.

Comment

Wife likes falling off the bone and she is the customer I have to live with so... I personally like them with a little tug and all the meat does not come off at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by North Carolina Mike View Post
            Wife likes falling off the bone and she is the customer I have to live with so... I personally like them with a little tug and all the meat does not come off at one time.
            I have the same problem with two friends who are very soft and crumbling meat.
            But fortunately we find a compromise.

Comment

I generally try to cook mine to a gentle tug, but much of the time they tend to FOTB. But they're good no matter what and people love them, so I call that a win in my books. As long as they don't get dried out, I'm good.

Comment

half moon bite. If you can't get a clean bite through, without taking the whole thing off the bone, you're not there.

But if you like fall of the bone... you do you.

Comment

I perfere the slight chew not off the bone

Comment

So, while like most of. you I think people should cook to the doneness they prefer, I wonder why toothsome but no falling off the bone has become the standard.

the obvious reason would be that it shows mastery of doneness. FOB is easy - just let it cook a long time. But done to the point where there's some nice pull but you can bite through it is a fairly precise doneness and I can see that being a much easier judging criterion.

In other words, this seems to be one of those things born out of the competition circuit, yes?

Comment

Who cares??? Not me. I like ribs. Depending on the bourbon and brew ratio to rib cooking time, sometimes they fall off the bone, sometimes they give me that slight tug. I love ribs, so I eat them all anyway. And either way I haven't had complaints. Cause we all love ribs. Heck, I got some in the freezer, think I'll pull them out, drink some of that $140 bourbon and see what happens

Now if my steak is overcooked, we are going to war...

Comment

Cook em how they makes yer Family, Friends, or Customers Happy...

Comment

Further on the matter, Wibs is in our name! Cook em how’s ya like em!

Comment

My family likes fall off the bone and I think I do too. There I said it, go ahead and string me up. Maybe it’s because I really don’t cook ribs that often, so I tend to error on the not quite done enough when trying to get a gentle tug.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here