Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falling off the bone..Lets finally make a ruling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who don't like fall off the bone ribs really won't like the McRib. Humm, come to think about it, there may not be enough PBR.

Comment

I think I’ve heard the term "steak-like chew" that’s what I like. I asked the guy who gave me some maple splits how he likes his and he said his mom boiled them and he likes them fall off the bone. I did his ribs fall off the bone, but at least they weren’t boiled.

Comment

I like to eat ribs too

Comment

I’m a KCBS judge. The statement ‘is not what judges want to see’ is incorrect. Judges, in KCBS, are judging on appearance, taste and tenderness. Regarding tenderness, ‘when a rib is over cooked, most or all the meat comes off the bone when sampled’. Therefore, a rib where most of the meat falls off the bone would be marked down under tenderness, even if the judge likes it that way. It is suppose to be standardized judging.

Which IMHO is a good thing. Judging should be standardized (like jury instructions) so that judging is uniform.

Comment

You do you and I'll do me and happy as pigs in shit shall we be.

Comment

• Stuey1515
              Stuey1515 commented
              Editing a comment
              I like you

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahh, thanks Stuey1515, I like you as well. Peace, love and groovy.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              But has anyone actually *asked* a pig in poop how happy they are? Maybe they just tolerate it. Maybe they'd like a shower and an easy chair and a glass of EH Taylor neat.

I'm in the "as long as it's not mushy" camp. I prefer my ribs to have a bit of chew but I won't turn down softer rack. However, I draw the line at pre-sauced ribs. I want the sauce on the side.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              100% with you. I like a good sauce but I like to judge my own ribs w/o any, and if they're flavorful enough that sauce might actually ruin them, then I consider my cook successful. I've been to enough restaurants that treat the sauce as *the* flavor, it's their crutch, and I can't help but think that when I see sauced ribs.

• tamidw
              tamidw commented
              Editing a comment
              Early on I used to sauce ribs. But then I quit saucing ribs and pulled pork ahead of time to allow for people to eat as they like. I like to dip my ribs into the sauce but love to taste the meat without as well to make sure it is good without sauce too.

I think most people prefer fall off the bone because the alternative they’ve had required dental floss. Went to a party once and there were beef ribs. Was excited until I tried them. Turns out they were grilled fast and were nearly impossible to chew.

Hitting the sweet spot in between is easy for a home cook who is watching a few racks and much harder for a large operation to get them all right consistently.

Comment

I shoot for the meat to come cleanly off the bone, but not falling off. I don't want to have to gnaw the bone to get the meat, but I don't want it to fall off the bone onto my lap either. As the cook, I always sample a bone or two to make sure before serving to others.

Comment

My personal preference is gentle tug.

But those I cook for want fall of the bone because that is what they are convinced is proper. I believe just about everything is a give and take negotiation. I give them fall of the bone and ask for appreciation of the rub and therefore forgo the sauce. But I have converted few because they are convinced sauce is proper. Regardless, my ribs are cooked sans sauce.

I will add it is harder for me to nail the gentle tug vs. underdone vs. fall of the bone. So I pay close attention toward the end of the cook. And if doing multiple racks I have been known to pull one early to meet my gentle tug needs !

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol, same! My last cook a couple weeks ago was a 3-pack and of course all 3 were different thicknesses. So I pulled the thinnest one off by itself when it was done and my guests were a touch perplexed that I came back in with only 1. I said "they're done when they're done, not when the clock says, just like toast". They laughed.

There is a spectrum of doneness that starts at al dente chewy and spans to fall off the bone. Individual preferences vary but it's all good in that range. True flavor comes from quality of meat, seasoning, and the level of smoke.

I like tender but with some resistance to the bite from the crust with the meat cleanly coming off the bone, but if any of you want to share your ribs with me I would smile and say thank you!

Comment

I prefer al dente, but FOTB is just fine as well. I just don't like when the bone gets overcooked and soft.

A fun cook I occasionally enjoy is BB's on the Santa Maria grill. They have a very firm bite, but a nice pork chop kind of flavor and deliciously crispy fat. MMMMMMMM criiiiiiiispy faaaaaaattt..........

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmmm FOTB... I may need to make the first addition to our Acronyms topic in years....

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with you about that crispy fat, CaptainMike

We refer to ribs being perfect at the "tender tug". I always shoot for that area but each rack is different so this is where the pitmaster comes in.

Comment

I cook for the lady that supports me buying pits like these two plus a few more. She likes them tender and falling off the bones. So guess how she gets them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebox open shot.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1071831

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210331_175707070.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1071832

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If mamma ain't happy...

I'm on the put up a bit of a fight side, just a little tug when eating.
                    Like others have mentioned I ain't turning up my nose at any ribs,,,,
                    ....well, the ones I caramelized with brown sugar that time were kinda hard to get down the old pie hole but I digress.

Comment

We like wibs!

Comment

• smokin fool
                        smokin fool commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your new avatar....Henery Hawk....I like chicken....

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here