Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Frozen Pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Frozen Pizza?

My question might be a non sequitur, but when one is feeling under the weather with no desire to cook but still wants pizza what are some of your favorite grocery store to oven pizzas?

I really couldn't say anymore.
    Since most frozen pizza crusts resemble cardboard we've switched to buying pizza dough and fixings to make our own za's in the oven.
    I get 2 x 16" za's out of one dough ball, 3 tbsps of marinara sauce, half a package of shredded cheese plus whatever toppings....12 mins in the oven we're there. .

Comment

Trick question.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit it, some frozen pizzas can be darn good for frozen pizza. My favorite in said "darn good for frozen pizza" category is Red Baron. And one that Aldi sells, Mama Cozzi's Take & Bake Deli Pizza. Yum!

Comment

• RamaJama
          RamaJama commented
          Editing a comment
          I ate a Red Baron pizza the other night for the first time since I was a kid… and it was darn good.

Huskee I like Red Baron too. I believe that Schwan’s actually makes them.

Not that it’s doing much good yet, but I’ve been trying to eat better, so been eating more thin crust pizzas. Schwan’s new thin crust isn’t bad as well as Palmero’s. I haven’t been too fond of anything DiGiorno or however you spell it.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Makes sense, Schwan's is hi quality food. We used to order from them and were rarely ever disappointed. Their tomato basil bisque will make you slap your grandma. I seem to recall not caring much for DiGiorno, and I simply can't remember Freschetta. I do remember that Red Baron seemed to top them all, especially if you get a stuffed crust or rising dough one, pretty much the opposite of thin crust, lol!

Costco Detroit pizza is the best.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          au4stree it is in the frozen section. I usually grab the 2 pack plus a 2 pack of cheesy bread. It is a excellent for frozen and my favorite when we do not want to cook.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to get something here at Walmart called Motor City Detroit Style Cheeseburger pizza. It was pretty good for frozen, and I liked the pickles and other toppings...

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it. However, I take everything off and out a liberal amount of garlic marinara sauce on it. I reconstruct with the original toppings, adding more pepperoni, diced onions and peppers.

Totino's anything but supreme, and I add enough pepperonis to cover in totality and add red pepper flakes or Tony Chachere's

I'll blend in some Tony's, Red Barron, Great Value thin crust, etc. All will get the pepperoni and Tony Chachere's treatment.

I can't stand stuffed crust. It's like they take the cheese off the floor and hide it in the crust.

Always in the oven, use the broiler to toast all those pepperonis on top before removing.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, I'll take that floor cheese any day! Stuffed crust is my bag, baby yeah!

Most of the frozen pizzas on this part of planet earth are really mediocre in my judgement. I do not make my own but buy frozen pizza bases and add desired toppings.
        A lot of the stores have in house bakeries that make and sell fresh uncooked pizza's, some of them are really good but more pricey than the box frozen ones.
        ​We had take away Romans Pizza tonight.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Poor to mediocre, hard to please dome are.

The very best frozen grocery store pizza I've ever had was Pizza Grandiosa. You'll need to bribe Elton's BBQ to send some to you (or fly halfway around the Northern Hemisphere to get it yourself) ... but it's worth it!
        Last edited by MBMorgan; January 21, 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          And now we have several more versions of Grandiosa..

Best frozen pizza's we've had are the California Pizza Kitchen ones. Mostly we use them for an easy lunch idea if there aren't any leftovers to be had.

Comment

We have convenience store chain called Kwik Trip in these parts. They have a house brand frozen pizza line. One is called "The Meat Sweats". A basic pepperoni and sausage Za but with TONS of meat on it. Also their sauce has a nice bite to it and plenty of it. Last and best they are cheap! We always have a couple in the freezer.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            We have been getting their sister chain Kwik Star here, I’m gonna have to try their frozen pizza sometime. Their chicken is good.

I actually really like the Newman's Own pizzas. They're carried (here at least) at Kroger stores, the crust is decent for frozen and the toppings are also good.

For those saying frozen pizzas aren't as good as homemade... no kidding. But the point is that sometimes you don't want to cook for whatever reason and frozen 'za is one of the few meals you can just pull out of the freezer, toss in the oven and in way under 30 minutes have a meal on the table. Add in a salad and some beer or wine and it's not bad for a quick meal.
          Last edited by rickgregory; January 21, 2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Similar to when someone asks about fast food, inevitably someone says "I make my own burgers at home they're better". Lol.

That's one cool thing about this place. You ask a question, and you get 20 people responding with 50 different answers!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha, it's kind if like asking a lawyer for an opinion!

• Wedunne
            Wedunne commented
            Editing a comment
            But a whole lot cheaper!

Digiorno is my go to for frozen pizza. Especially the pepperoni. Two of those can feed the family and when they are on sale it will be right around $10. And the kids love them too.

Comment

We like Costco Cauliflower Crust, 2 for $10, going shopping today and they are on the list.
            I like to cook them in my EZ Bake Pellet Grill.
            Last edited by bbqLuv; January 21, 2022, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Pellet-cooked pizza is another world of good

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Closest Costco that I'll go to is in Medford. I might have to stop in when I'm up there next week. I think the "EZ Bake" theme might catch on!
              Last edited by CaptainMike; January 21, 2022, 03:12 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here